Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Firmware Update 1.1: Document and Software
This article contains a software link to Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Firmware Update 1.1.
Improves PCI performance on all Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Desktop systems. It is not necessary to install this on a Macintosh Server G3 running Mac OS X Server. G3 Firmware Update 1.1 installs on any Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Desktop computer running Mac OS 8.5.1 through Mac OS 9.x.
Note: G3 Firmware Update 1.1 installs the same firmware as G3 Firmware Update 1.0.2. If you downloaded G3 Firmware Update 1.0.2 and updated your firmware successfully, then it is not necessary to download G3 Firmware Update 1.1.
Note: This update works only on the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White). It does not work with the Power Macintosh G3 (Platinum).
Install the Power Macintosh G3 Firmware Update on all Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Desktop systems to achieve improved PCI performance. Follow these instructions. (You may want to print the instructions first.)
Important: Do not install the Firmware Update on Macintosh Server G3 with Mac OS X Server. See writers note at the bottom of this article.
Note: After you upgrade your firmware, you may need to restore some of your preferences because the updater resets the computer's parameter RAM (PRAM). For more information about setting preferences and about PRAM, see Mac OS Help in the electronic documentation installed on your computer's hard disk.
- Double-click the Power Macintosh G3 Firmware Updater icon and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Click the Shut Down button when a message appears telling you to shut down your computer.
Perform these steps after the computer has been shut down.
- Hold down the Programmer's button on the front of the computer. It may be more convenient to use a small blunt object rather than your finger to hold down the Programmer's button. (For more information, see the manual "Setting Up Your Power Macintosh G3" that came with your computer.)
- Press the Power button on your computer or on the Apple USB keyboard while continuing to hold down the Programmer's button.
The computer starts up.
- 5. Release the Programmer's button when you no longer hear the tone. A progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen.
- 6. After your computer starts up, if the update process was successful, a message appears saying the firmware is up-to-date. Click OK.
If a message appears saying the update was not completed successfully, go back to step 1 and begin the update process again.
Note: Since the Mac OS X Server bundle does not include Mac OS 8.5.1 or later on the hard drive, the Firmware Update does not run because it requires computer to start up from a re-writeable Mac OS 8.5.1 or later partition.
If you received Mac OS X Server bundled on the computer, and have a way to start up the server from a writeable 8.5.1 or later partition, you should be able to install the Firmware Updater.
There are no concerns installing the Firmware Updater on a Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) before or after installing the Mac OS X Server software.
Downloading Help: Software downloads: Formats and common error messages.
All software available from this site is covered by a software license agreement included with this software.
Keywords: kaswu kbdload