Mac OS X Modem Update: Information and Download
This article contains information about the Mac OS X Modem Update and a link to the software download.
The Mac OS X Modem Update resolves a rare issue in which a built-in modem cannot dial up. You may see the message "Internet Connect could not open the communications device".
After updating or installing Mac OS X 10.2, some Macintosh computers cannot dial out via their built-in modems. You may see these three symptoms:
- Internet Connect gives this alert message when you attempt to dial up:
"Internet Connect could not open the communications device."
- The Internet Connection Log contains this entry:
"Failed to open /dev/cu.modem: Device busy."
- The modem works normally if you start up the computer from Mac OS 9.
- Mac OS X 10.2 to 10.2.1
- Book (Late 2001)
- iBook (14.1 LCD)
- iBook (16 VRAM)
- iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM)
- PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
- PowerBook G4 (DVI)
- iMac (Flat Panel)
- iMac (Flat Panel 17)
- PowerMac G4's: Dual 1GHz, Dual 1.25 GHz (Mirrored Drive Doors)
- PowerBook G3 Series: 233, 250, 292 MHz (Wallstreet)
If you have not experienced the symptoms, you do not need to download the Mac OS X Modem Update.
If you access the Internet via your system's built-in modem, follow these steps below that require Mac OS 9 for downloading the update. Alternatively, if you do not have Mac OS 9 installed, you should download the update (as in Steps 3 and 4) from another location and then burn it on a CD to take back to your computer. If you live near an Apple Store retail location, you may get assistance there if necessary.
To download and install the Mac OS X Modem Update, follow these steps:
- If you have Mac OS 9 installed on the computer, start up the computer from Mac OS 9. For help, see How to Switch Between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
- After the computer starts up, connect to the Internet. If you have not previously connected to the Internet in Mac OS 9, see Mac OS 9: How to Connect to the Internet via PPP (Dial-Up Access).
- Go to Apple Software Downloads (http://support.apple.com/downloads/).
- Search for "Mac OS X Modem Update".
- Download the update. If given the option to decompress the file after downloading it, click Cancel.
- Restart the computer from Mac OS X. For help doing this, see technical document How to Switch Between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
- Open the Mac OS X Modem Update, and follow the directions.
The Mac OS X Modem Update license agreement permits the reproduction of software once for archival purposes only.
For help with downloading, see Software downloads: Formats and common error messages.
All software available from this site is covered by a software license agreement included with this software.
Keywords: kbdload kmos92 kmosX