AppleScript 1.8.3 Update: Information and Download
This article contains information about the AppleScript 1.8.3 Update and a link to the software download.
What is AppleScript?
AppleScript lets you automate tasks you do on your computer. Using AppleScript and the scriptable applications and scripting additions included with Mac OS 9.2.2, you can automate
- Changing appearance settings
- Adding an alias to the Apple menu
- Opening, renaming, and moving files and folders
- Arranging folder windows
- Backing up your hard disk
- Connecting to servers and shared disks
- Printing groups of documents
- Setting up network connections
How to learn more about AppleScript
If you're new to AppleScript, start with AppleScript Help. AppleScript Help introduces AppleScript, the Script Editor application, and the AppleScript language. It includes examples and describes the new features of AppleScript.
To open AppleScript Help:
- Choose Help Center from the Help menu, then click AppleScript Help.
For more example scripts, tutorials, and third-party script tools, open the AppleScript folder in the CD Extras folder on the Mac OS 9.2 CD. For a description of what's available in the folder, read "About AppleScript CD Extras."
For more information about AppleScript, additional tutorials, free scripts, updates, and links to other resources, visit the AppleScript Web site:
What's new in this version of AppleScript?
This version of AppleScript corrects several problems found in previous versions:
- Restores expected performance that was significantly reduced with some applications in previous versions.
- Improves reliability when using Unicode (international) text data, such as that provided by the Finder in Mac OS X and by the iTunes application.
- Restores the behavior of "file" and "alias" objects to their historical behavior. The previous version changed the behavior to be more compatible with Mac OS X, but that caused many scripts to malfunction.
- Allows scripts to work with files and folders whose names contain accented or other special characters.
- Corrects several problems with the "info for" scripting addition that could cause scripts to malfunction.
For complete information about the changes in this version of AppleScript, visit the AppleScript Web site.
For help with downloading, see Software downloads: Formats and common error messages.
All software available from this site is covered by a software license agreement included with this software.
Keywords: kbdload kscript