There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.8: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.
Automatic Software Update
Software Update, located in the Apple menu, will automatically download the latest Apple software. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.) Note that the update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Some updates must be installed prior to others, so you may need to run Software Update more than once to get all of the available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. Two versions of the standalone installer are available from Apple Downloads: a delta and combo.
- The combo update installer (described in this article) updates Mac OS X 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.6, and 10.4.7 to 10.4.8.
This update offers many improvements, including the following, which apply to both Intel- and Power-PC-based Macs unless otherwise noted:
- Adds support for CDSASSL (Common Data Security Architecture Secure Sockets Layer) printer connections.
- Addresses an issue for Mac OS X 10.4.7 in which some documents containing some Chinese or Korean language characters might not print as expected.
Finder and Apple applications
- Resolves an issue in which a Finder alert message with the buttons "Initialize", "Ignore", and "Eject" might not appear after connecting a partitioned FireWire hard drive.
- Addresses a potential issue in which Preview may unexpectedly quit.
- Improves reliability of iTunes syncing with certain iPod models.
Networking and modem
- Resolves performance issues that could occur when connecting to a Comcast network.
- Improves security by adding support for EAP-FAST for AirPort wireless authentication.
- Improves Express Card behavior for portable Intel-based Macs.
- Improves reliability for connections made in Ireland with an external Apple USB Modem.
- Improves connection reliability for external Apple USB Modems when resuming an Internet connection after answering an incoming call.
- A computer restart is no longer needed to restart nfsd.
- Improves Apple File Sharing client performance by changing the default AFP WAN quantum size.. More...
- Windows File Sharing now generates only one process, avoiding an issue that could cause a Mac OS X computer to become unresponsive if it won a master browser election.
- Improves reliability when faxing in France or Belgium via an external Apple USB Modem.
- Resolves an issue for Microsoft Word in which Word might stop responding when saving a file that uses certain OpenType fonts.
- Adds RAW image decoding support for these cameras: Sony DSLR-A100, Nikon D2Xs, Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, Fuji FinePix S3 Pro (+Highlights) and Konica Minolta 7.
- Resolves an issue in which thumbnails may appear blank when importing RAW images from a Canon 30D camera.
- Resolves an issue for Microsoft PowerPoint in which the display resolution might not change as expected after switching from a PowerPoint presentation to a different application via Command-Tab.
- Improves compatibility for Canon EOS Utility software after connecting a Canon EOS Kiss Digital camera to a PowerPC-based Mac.
- Improves compatibility for the TV Tracker 2 Dashboard widget.
- Includes recent Apple security updates.
- Improves the accuracy of Rosetta numerics and addresses Altivec translation issues on Intel-based Macs.
- ColorSync matching no longer fails when using a V4 ICC profile in an application opened with Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac.
- Addresses an issue in which some USB devices connected to a PCI card may not be recognized after starting up or waking the computer.
- Resolves an issue in which external USB-based video cameras may not be available after quitting the application that is using it.
- Reduces time needed to transfer data from a USB-based image scanner.
- Improves responsiveness of the Translation Dashboard widget.
- Addresses an issue in which text typed with the Hangul input method may not be visible while the Caps Lock key is active, on PowerPC-based Macs.
- Adds support on Intel-based Macs for multiple cores to LAPACK and BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework; the maximum number of threads used by Accelerate BLAS routines is now limited by the environment variable VECLIB_MAXIMUM_THREADS; addresses an issue with some complex BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework that were encountering an illegal instruction.