If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch was running iOS 13 and was low on storage before you tried to update, you might experience one of these things:
- You see this message on your computer: "The [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14)." Your device goes into recovery mode.
- Your device is stuck at the Apple logo screen.
Try to update your device again
If your device is stuck at the Apple logo screen, restart your device.
If your device is still in recovery mode, follow these steps to update to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 or later:*
- If you have a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, make sure that your computer is up to date. If you have a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or a PC, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
- Locate your device on your computer.
- When asked to update or restore your device, click Update to reinstall the software and keep your personal data.
* If you previously attempted to update to an earlier version of iOS or iPadOS, try to update your device again to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 or later.
If you still need help
If you continue to see error 14 when you try to update your device, contact Apple Support.