With Pages, you can create a book, then publish it directly to the store in Apple Books. You can customise your book during the publishing process, including adding a cover, setting a price or offering it for free, adding tags to specify age groups or subject matter, setting up a pre-order option, customising availability by date and country or region, and more. You can also update an already-submitted book.
Prepare to publish your book
Here are some things you should do before you start the process of publishing your book:
- Use paragraph styles in your Pages document, so your book is formatted correctly when published.
- Save your book in the Pages folder in iCloud Drive. If you’re not using iCloud Drive, set up iCloud on all of your devices and turn on iCloud Drive.
- Get your cover image ready* or plan to use the first page as the cover. If you're planning to publish with Pages on an iPhone or iPad, save the image in iCloud Drive.
- If your book contains HEVC videos, convert the videos before you publish.
- If your book contains 3D objects, replace the objects with image files or remove the objects. If you leave 3D objects in a document, Pages converts them to image files when you export the document to EPUB.
- Review the items in the list on the Submit Your Ebook webpage.
* You can use PDF, EPS, JPG, PSD, PNG, TIFF or GIF files for cover images, and they must be at least 1,400 pixels on their shortest side.
Publish your book
To publish your book, open your document in Pages, provide seller and version information, enter the book information, preview and upload your book, then finalise your submission.
Open your document in Pages
- Open the Pages document you want to publish as a book.
- Do the following for the device you're using:
- On Mac, choose File > Publish to Apple Books.
- On iPhone, tap the More button , tap Export, then tap Publish to Apple Books.
- On iPad, depending on what you see in the toolbar, tap the document name or tap the More button in the toolbar, tap Export, then tap Publish to Apple Books.
- Online at iCloud.com, click the More button, then choose Publish to Apple Books.
- Tap or click Continue, then sign in to iTunes Connect. If you've never signed in, create an account:
- On Mac, click Create iTunes Connect Account.
- On an iPad or iPhone, or online on iCloud.com, sign up for an account.
- Tap or click Continue. After this step, any changes you make to the Pages document won't appear in the published book. If you need to stop the publishing flow and make changes to the Pages document, just close the publishing window.
Provide seller and version information
Next, choose the seller of the book and add the version information:
- If your iTunes Connect account has more than one seller, tap or click the Seller pop-up menu, then choose a seller. All those listed in your iTunes Connect account will appear in the menu – choose any as the seller.
- If you're publishing this book for the first time, select "This is a new book". You can also update a previously submitted book.
- Click Continue.
Provide book information
After you've provided the seller and version information, you can choose a layout type for your book and enter other information about your book. Not every field is required, but many of these fields can help readers find your book in the Book Store. Here are some tips about the options on this page:
- If your Pages document is a word-processing document, choose a layout for your book. Choose Reflowable for a book that has mostly text, such as a novel. In a Reflowable layout, content reflows to accommodate different devices and orientations, and readers can adjust the font size. Choose Fixed for image-heavy or multi-column documents.
- To display two-page spreads in a fixed layout book, choose Book Spread > Two Pages.
- To add a subtitle or series name, in the Title section click the Add button . If you're not using a subtitle or series name, click the Remove button to remove the field.
- To add additional roles, such as Editor, Illustrated by, Narrated by and more, tap or click the Add button in the Author section, click the Author pop-up menu, choose a role, then enter a name.
- To help readers find your book, choose a subject category that best describes the content of your book. You can add additional categories, but Apple Books uses the first three categories you chose.
- If your book is for minors, set an interest age. Or tap or click the Interest Age pop-up menu and choose one of the school year options:
- To set a minimum school year, set the first option only.
- To set a maximum school year, set the second option only.
- To set a school year range, set both options.
- To set a specific school year, set both options to the same school year.
- If your book is only appropriate for adults or is extremely violent, click the Contains Explicit Content pop-up menu and choose Yes.
- To set up a pre-order option, tap or click the Pre-Order pop-up menu, then choose Yes. To upload your book now, click the Upload Book pop-up menu and choose Yes. After you've uploaded your book, you can add pricing, region and pre-order details in iTunes Connect.*
When you're ready, click Continue. If errors appear, enter the required information, then click Continue again.
* Your book won't be available in the Book Store until you've added this information in iTunes Connect after uploading your book.
Preview and upload your book
After you've entered your book information and clicked Continue, you can preview the book and sample EPUB files. The preview EPUB files will open in the Books app.
If you're publishing from Pages online on iCloud.com, the files will be downloaded to the default download location on your computer.
When you’re satisfied with your sample, click Upload.
Finalise your submission
After your book has been successfully uploaded to Apple Books, click Go to iTunes Connect. In iTunes Connect, add pricing and region information. If you've set up a pre-order option, add the pre-order details.
As Apple Books reviews your submission, you’ll receive status updates by email. You can also check your book's review status at any time in the My Books section of your iTunes Connect account.
Update a previously submitted book
Open the document and choose Publish to Apple Books. In the Seller screen, choose the update option. If your previously published book had a version number, create a new version number for the book. Add “what’s new” text that describes what’s changed in the new version – this will appear with your book in the Book Store.
In the other publishing windows, most information will be pre-filled, though you can change most of the metadata or other options as required. For example, you can specify a new page range for your sample, add a new category for your book and more.