Schoolwork is a powerful iPad app that helps teachers and students use the power of iPad more effectively. Teachers can easily distribute and collect assignments, keep an eye on student progress in educational apps, and collaborate one-on-one with students from anywhere, in real time. It’s easy for students to use, too. Assignments automatically appear on their iPad devices, organized by due date and class. And Schoolwork helps teachers keep track of how everyone in class is doing so they can tailor their teaching to the needs of each student.
Some of the most useful educational materials are found within apps. With Schoolwork, teachers can browse supported apps to find content that fits their curriculum, then share specific app activities with students. In a single tap, they can go directly to the right activity.
Schoolwork is available in the App Store and requires set up of school accounts and classes in Apple School Manager by a school's IT administrator. Find out how to get set up for Schoolwork and learn more about the requirements in the Schoolwork Help.
To get the latest version of Schoolwork, check the Updates tab in the App Store on your iPad.
What's new in Schoolwork 1.0.1
This update includes minor stability improvements.
Schoolwork 1.0 Features
Share anything with Handouts
- Use Handouts to easily share a homework assignment, study reminder, or class announcement with students.
- Add PDFs, documents, web links, photos, videos, or even links to activities in an app.
- For apps that work with Schoolwork, take students directly to a specific activity within an app.
- Provide an easy way for students to submit a final project or demonstrate their understanding.
Keep students focused and organized
- Direct students to a specific place when you assign an activity in an app.
- Students see what’s due this week across all their classes.
- In Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, students can submit homework from right within the app.
Collaborate and give real-time feedback
- Easily collaborate with individual students or with the entire class in just a few taps.
- Add comments to students’ work to provide feedback while they’re working on an assignment.
- Use the new Drawing and Smart Annotation features in iWork to add feedback directly to students’ documents.
- Use Apple Pencil or your finger to mark up PDFs, photos, and more.
Review student progress
- Check which students are done or not done with assignments due this week.
- See how students did across their Schoolwork assignments, including student work, quiz scores, points earned, and time spent.
- Students can submit homework to Schoolwork from within any app.
- See a holistic view of a student including submitted work and progress in apps, all in one place.
- Tailor Handouts to a single student or a group of students based on individual needs.
- Use student progress to find students who may need an extra challenge or support.
Apple has a strong commitment to teacher and student privacy. Schools are required to opt in to Schoolwork’s student progress feature using Apple School Manager. Student progress is only recorded for teacher-assigned activities that are completed while using a school-provided Managed Apple ID. All student progress data is encrypted in transit and at rest. If a school does not opt in, teachers and students can still use Schoolwork without this feature.
In order to improve the Schoolwork product as well as help your school understand how students and teachers are using Schoolwork, Apple collects anonymous data about your Schoolwork activity that may also be shared with your school. This data will not be used for any other purpose and does not include personally identifiable information.
What's new in Schoolwork at iCloud.com
Updates are cumulative, so when you launch Schoolwork, it has all the latest features. You can see all the features included with each release below.
Teachers can now access Schoolwork from iCloud.com to create Handouts and see student progress from these supported browsers:
- macOS: Safari 11 or later, Firefox 56 or later, and Chrome 59 or later
- Windows: Firefox 56 or later and Chrome 59 or later
The Schoolwork app is named Classwork in Australia and New Zealand.