How to verify your identity for Apple Card
If you're asked to scan your valid driver license or state ID when you apply for Apple Card,1 follow these steps:
- Scan the front of your photo ID and tap Continue.
- Scan the back of your photo ID and tap Continue.
To rescan your photo ID, tap Scan Again.
If your Apple Card application was declined because your identification information couldn't be verified, learn what you can do.
How to verify your identity for Apple Cash
- Go to your card info:
- iPhone: Open the Wallet app, tap your Apple Cash card, tap the More button , then tap Card Details .
- iPad: Open the Settings app, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, then tap your Apple Cash card.
- Apple Watch: Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, then tap your Apple Cash card.
- Tap Verify Identity.
- Follow the onscreen steps. When capturing your driver license or state ID card, use these tips:
- Place your card on a dark background.
- Capture all four corners of your card.
- Make sure that there's nothing between your device's camera and the card that would obscure it.
The first time that you verify your identity, you might be asked for this information:
- Your full name
- Your Social Security number
- Your date of birth
- Your home address2
- Answers to questions regarding your personal history
- An image of your valid driver license or state ID card
To use all the features of Apple Cash3 you must verify your identity.
If you enter the wrong information, try to verify your identity again. If you don't see the option to verify your identity, contact Apple Support.
When you'll be asked to verify your identity
You'll be asked to verify your identity based on how much you use Apple Cash. You may not add or receive $500 or more in total without verifying your identity. You might also be asked to verify your identity prior to this limit.
To protect your account and the security of your money, you might be asked to verify your identity when using Apple Cash, even if you have previously done so.
Identity verification for Apple Cash Family
If the family organizer hasn't already, they need to verify their identity when they set up Apple Cash Family.
Members of the Family Sharing group that are over 18 years old and take ownership of their Apple Cash account must verify their identity.
If you're under 18 years old, your family organizer can set up Apple Cash for you.
Why you'll be asked for your personal data
Apple Cash services are provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC, a regulated financial institution. Green Dot Bank is required by federal law to verify the identity of its customers.
To verify your identity, Green Dot Bank will request Social Security numbers and other personal information to ensure that customers are eligible to use the service.
Where is your personal information going
Information that you provide will be sent to Green Dot Bank and their identity verification service provider. Your name and address is securely stored by the partner bank and Apple Payments Inc. If asked, Social Security number, date of birth, answers to questions (e.g. confirm street name you have previously lived on), or a copy of your government ID will be provided to Green Dot Bank and their identity service provider, and stored by Green Dot Bank as long as required by law. This additional information cannot be read by Apple.
Apple created Apple Payments Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary, to protect your privacy by storing and processing information separately from the rest of Apple and in a way that the rest of Apple doesn’t know.
What if you don't have the information that you need to verify your identity
If your identity is unable to be verified, you won't be able to use all of the features of Apple Cash, including sending and receiving money and adding money to your Apple Cash balance.
You can use the money in your Apple Cash account to make purchases with Apple Pay in stores, in apps, and on the web, and you can transfer money to your bank.
- Apple Card is issued by Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City Branch. Apple Card is available only in the United States.
- You should enter a home address. If you enter a post office box, your account will be restricted. Contact us.
- You must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States to use Apple Cash. If you're under 18 years old, your family organizer can set up Apple Cash for you as part of Apple Cash Family. Apple Cash services are provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC. Learn more about the Terms and Conditions.