Restart your device
Check your Internet connection
If you're currently using a cellular connection, try to connect to Wi-Fi.
Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is 802.11a/g/n/ac compatible. Slower tiers of Wi-Fi connections might not be fast enough to stream the highest-quality video content (8 Mbit/s or faster for HD content).
Check the activity on your home network
If family members or friends are using the same Internet network, ask them to temporarily pause their Internet activities.
When multiple devices use the same Internet network for intensive activities such as gaming, video streaming, or backing up, it might slow down the speed of your local network.
Try watching on another device
See if you can stream your movie or TV show on another device using the same Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If you can't, the issue might be with your network and not your device.
Check for service interruptions
Check to see if the iTunes Store has a service interruption, or check a third-party provider's website to see if they list any interruptions.
If there are service interruptions, try to stream or watch the video later.
Try downloading the video instead
If you're having trouble streaming your video content, you can also download the video1. Purchases from the iTunes Store and some third-party apps can be downloaded in the background instead and watched later. However, your ability to download the video depends on the file size and the amount of storage available on your device.
To download a purchased video, tap or click . Downloading a video might take longer before you can start watching than if you stream it, but will allow you to watch the video all the way through without interruptions.
1 You can't download content to an Apple TV. You can only download HDR content on certain iOS devices, and you can't download 4K video content to any device.
- Your Apple device automatically streams the highest-quality video content available from the iTunes Store. If you want to lower the video playback quality:
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > TV or Videos > iTunes Videos.
- On your Mac or PC: Open iTunes, then choose iTunes > Preferences > Playback from the menu at the top of your computer screen or the iTunes window.
- On your Apple TV: Go to Settings > Apps > iTunes movies and TV shows > Video Resolution.
- Learn more about streaming 4K video, or video content with HDR or Dolby Vision.
- Learn more about downloading and watching HD video.
- If your purchased movie, TV show, or rental content still won't play after trying the steps in this article, you can report a problem.
- For third-party apps, try contacting the streaming video content provider.