With your iOS device, you might experience one of these issues when you make a call, use FaceTime or Siri, or play recorded audio:
- People can't hear you during a phone or FaceTime call.
- You sound unclear to others during a phone or FaceTime call.
- Siri says, "I didn't get that" or doesn't hear your request or hears only part of it.
- When playing back recorded audio, the sound you hear is unclear, or you don’t hear sound.
- You're unable to change audio sources during a call.
Test the microphones on your device
To find out if there’s an issue with the microphone on your device—and not your cellular connection or the app that you're using—test each microphone. Microphone location can vary by device. You can use your product's technical specifications to find the microphones.
When you test your microphones, make sure that your iOS device isn't connected to a wired or wireless headset.
There is more than one microphone on your iPhone.
To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
To test the front microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the front camera. To test the rear microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the back camera. When you play back the video you should hear your voice clearly.
If your voice sounds faint when you’re on a phone call, make sure that your rear microphone isn’t blocked or covered.
If Siri can't hear you, make sure that the receiver and front microphone on top of your iPhone aren't covered or dirty.
To test the microphone on your iPad, make sure that nothing is covering the microphone, and then open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Speak into the microphone, and then tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly. Learn where the microphones are located on your iPad.
To test the microphone on your iPod touch, open Voice Memos. Tap the record icon, speak into the microphone, then tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:
- Unplug any accessories and disconnect any Bluetooth headsets.
- Avoid blocking the microphone with your fingers or case while holding the device or recording video.
- Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone or iPhone receiver.
- Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver.
- Restart your device.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.
If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.
FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.