New in GarageBand 2.3.14
GarageBand now requires permission from the user to access the microphone prior to recording audio with the microphone or other source.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand now has improved performance when browsing sounds for Touch Instruments while recording on iPad.
- Resolves an issue where GarageBand might quit unexpectedly while installing sound packs.
- Audio Unit controls are no longer interrupted because the GarageBand audio engine now automatically restarts when an external device is connected.
- VoiceOver now announces song sections as they are swiped through.
- Dragging the Car Horn loop in the Toy Box sound pack from the Loop Browser to a track now places the correct sound in the track.
- The Horse effect in the Erhu instrument no longer remains active after releasing the control and while Grace Notes are triggered at the same time.
- Resolves an issue where some Apple Loops previewed properly in the loop browser, but then did not sound the same when dragged to the Tracks Area.
- Double-tapping the Chord Strip on iPhone no longer hides the keyboard.
External Hardware Support
- Inputs from audio devices that support AudioDriverKit are now selectable in GarageBand.
- The Level Meter now displays as expected in the Input Menu when using a multichannel audio interface.
New features and enhancements
- A New Pattern button has been added to the Step Sequencer.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer quits infrequently when a note in the Piano Roll is tapped several times in quick succession.
- GarageBand no longer hangs when an Audio Unit Extension app is instantiated in a project for the first time.
- Performance is improved when using the two finger gesture to control HiHats in the drum kit.
- Starting audio preview of a loop while playing a video now stops the audio output of the video.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces slider values in the Compressor.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the New Recording button in the Document Manager.
- Stomp boxes in the Smart Guitar instrument can now be activated using VoiceOver.
- Navigation in the Track Settings using Voiceover has been improved.
- VoiceOver can now be used to create, edit, and delete automation points.
- VoiceOver now announces values of controls in the Sampler as soon as they are selected.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Piano Keys button.
- VoiceOver now updates to announce changes to controls when a new channel strip setting is loaded.
- VoiceOver now includes clock tick position when announcing the current playback position.
- VoiceOver no longer converts chord names containing sharps to their enharmonic flat equivalents.
- VoiceOver now reliably invokes the region edit menu on iPadOS.
- Two finger scrub to reset to the beginning of the project during playback now works with VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Percussion controls in Drummer.
- VoiceOver now provides feedback when editing region borders.
- VoiceOver now announces the currently visible area when scrolling the Tracks area.
- Navigating FX Controls using VoiceOver is now easier.
- It is now possible to navigate through all the steps of the Snare row in Beat Sequencer.
- VoiceOver now announces the chosen destination when dragging and dropping items.
- The Tap Tempo button can now be controlled using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Face Recognition button.
- VoiceOver now provides a warning when an Apple Loop is dragged to an unsupported location on the Live Loops grid.
- The Loop Browser is now fully accessible using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Reset Filter button in the Loop Browser.
- The Kick & Snare variation slider is now disabled as expected in VoiceOver when Follow is enabled.
- Using VoiceOver to navigate and adjust the effect controls with Stompboxes had been improved.
- VoiceOver now announces the current values of notes lengths while editing them in the Piano Roll.
- The video Play button in the Producers and Artists sound packs is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- The Input slider for new audio recordings is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now announces the number of available new loops in the Get More Apple Loops button popover.
- VoiceOver now announces the volume slider in the Loops popover window.
- VoiceOver now announces the number of available notifications in the Sound Library.
- VoiceOver announcements for the Time Ruler now change to seconds/milliseconds when the format is changed from Bars and Beats.
- The names of controls announced by VoiceOver are now consistent with the corresponding names found in the GarageBand Help.
- VoiceOver no longer continually announces the Cutoff and Resonance control values as 100% while using the electronic bass instruments.
- It is now possible to import loops into the Sampler using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now announces Row numbers in Beat Sequencer.
- VoiceOver now announces changes to values in the Autoplay button in Smart Instruments.
- VoiceOver announcements are no longer interrupted sometimes when the focus changes while deleting, copying, pasting, or duplicating an audio recording.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Learn more about the Control Bar button.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the Scale button while using the Erhu instrument.
- VoiceOver now provides an audible count-in when recording.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the EQ controls in the Amp plug-in.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the keyboard controls while using the Sampler.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces selected scales while using the Sampler.
- The Smart Keyboard is now fully accessible using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver no longer announces “null, null” while GarageBand is showing a loading indicator.
- VoiceOver now announces the number of available sound packs in the Get more keyboard sounds window.
- Descriptive text in the Keyboard track selector is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces seconds as well as fractions of seconds when the Playhead is dragged.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces all buttons and elements in the Live Loops library.
- All Sound Library item detail screens are now fully accessible using VoiceOver.
- It is now possible to select and merge tracks using VoiceOver.
- Various inactive switch controls no longer only appear to be activated when using Voiceover.
- VoiceOver can now activate the Automation button in the Track Header.
- Navigation in Drummer when using VoiceOver is now easier.
- When sharing, VoiceOver no longer offers to share a song when a folder is selected.
- The Duplicate and Add song section buttons are now accessible using VoiceOver.
- The Velocity control in the onscreen keyboard is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- The Note Editor is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- The Automation editor is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- The Visual EQ plug-in is now accessible using VoiceOver.
- Live Loops cells now reliably play their full lengths as set in the editor.
- Live Loops cells now play consistently as expected after the song tempo is adjusted several times.
- When previewing an artist loop, the preview video now stops playing.
Export and sharing
- Exported or shared projects now include sound from AUReverb2 plug-ins used in the project.
- Sustain in Alchemy now reliably affects the note being pressed.
- Undo now works after pasting automation.