Importance of service by trained technicians using genuine Apple displays
If you need to replace your iPhone display, it's important for a trained technician who uses genuine Apple display parts to repair it.
For most customers, visiting a professional repair provider with certified technicians who use genuine Apple parts is the safest and most reliable way to get a repair. These providers include Apple and Apple Authorized Service Providers, and Independent Repair Providers, who have access to genuine Apple parts.* Repairs performed by untrained individuals using nongenuine parts might affect the safety of the device or functionality of the display. Apple displays are designed to fit precisely within the device. Additionally, repairs that don't properly replace screws or cowlings might leave behind loose parts that could damage the battery, cause overheating, or result in injury.
Depending on your location, you can get your iPhone display replaced—in or out of warranty—by visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or by shipping your iPhone to an Apple Repair Center. Genuine Apple parts are also available for out-of-warranty repairs from Independent Repair Providers or through Self Service Repair.*
Get started with display service.
The iPhone display is engineered together with iOS software for optimal performance and quality. A nongenuine display might cause compatibility or performance issues. For example, an issue might arise after an iOS software update that contains display updates.
If a service provider uses nongenuine display parts, the following might also occur:
- Multi-Touch might not respond on parts of the screen
- Degraded Multi-Touch performance, such as missed screen touches or touches not registering in the right location
- Touches might unexpectedly register during a phone call
- Display might not turn off during phone calls
- Accidental edge or palm touches might register
Display brightness and color issues
- True Tone display doesn't function correctly
- Lost or degraded function of the ambient light sensor, causing the screen to dim or brighten incorrectly
- Incorrect display color calibration, such as the display to appearing too yellow or blue
- Display isn't uniformly bright
- Lower maximum brightness
- Unintentional battery drain
* Independent Repair Providers have access to genuine Apple parts, tools, training, service guides, diagnostics, and resources. Repairs by Independent Repair Providers are not covered by Apple's warranty or AppleCare plans, but might be covered by the provider's own repair warranty. Self Service Repair provides access to genuine Apple parts, tools, and repair manuals so that customers experienced with the complexities of repairing electronic devices can perform their own out-of-warranty repair. Self Service Repair is currently available in certain countries or regions for specific iPhone models introduced in 2021 or later. To view repair manuals and order parts for eligible models, go to the Self Service Repair page.
Parts and service history
With iPhone 11 models and later, excluding iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation), using iOS 15.2 and later, you can go to Settings > General > About for the parts and service history of your iPhone. You can also find out if the display has been replaced. If the repair was done using genuine Apple parts and processes, "Genuine Apple Part" will appear next to Display.
An Unknown Part message will appear if the display installation is incomplete or if the display:
- Was replaced with a nongenuine display
- Was already used or installed in another iPhone
- Isn't functioning as expected
An additional message might appear that says "Apple has updated the device information for this iPhone." This means that Apple has updated the device information maintained for this iPhone for service needs, safety analysis, and to improve future products.
These messages don't affect your ability to use your iPhone.
Learn more about iPhone parts and service history.
With iOS versions earlier than iOS 15.2, an Important Display Message will appear instead of an Unknown Part message.