The TV app is available in select countries and regions. You can use the TV app on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) with the latest version of tvOS or your iPhone or iPad with the latest version of iOS.
Explore the TV app
To get started, open the TV app: On your Apple TV, select the TV app from your Home screen or press on your Siri Remote. On your iPhone or iPad, tap the TV app on your Home screen.1
To find the content you want, use these four tabs in the TV app:
This tab has two sections: The Up Next2 section displays your current shows and movies, while the one below features recommendations for new content across your apps, curated by our experts. The content you see in Watch Now is instantly playable,3 because Watch Now filters by free content, plus your subscriptions, purchases, and rentals.
To find a list of all shows and movies that you purchased or rented in the iTunes Store, open the Library tab and select TV Shows or Movies. On your iPhone and iPad, the Library tab also shows your recent purchases and any home videos that you transferred to your device. To see more of your recently purchased content, tap See All.
Use the Store tab to install apps that support the TV app, like ones you can subscribe to individually and ones that work with your cable or satellite TV subscription. And, if your pay TV provider supports Single sign-on, you just sign in once to enjoy instant access to supported apps included with your pay TV subscription. You can also browse the latest TV shows and movies from iTunes.
Use Siri or the Search tab to find TV shows and movies by title, cast, or crew. If you ask Siri to play one of your current shows or movies, the content starts right where you left off. You can also use the Search tab to see trending content. See something you like? Ask Siri to add the show or movie to Up Next. (Or just add the content to Up Next from the content's main product page.)
Change your settings
On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apps > TV. On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > TV. Then you can adjust these settings:
- Turn Up Next on or off: If you don't want to display the viewing history in the TV app on your device—past or future—turn off Up Next. When you turn off Up Next on your device, the setting turns off only on that device, and your viewing information won’t sync to your other devices anymore (until you turn Up Next back on).
- Remove content from certain apps: To remove an app's past or future content from the TV app, select the app that you want to clear. Then choose Remove or Remove and Clear Play History.4
- Clear viewing history: To remove your viewing history from the TV app, select Clear Play History.4
See where the TV app is available
To get the TV app, update to the latest version of tvOS on your Apple TV and to the latest version of iOS on your iPhone or iPad. To find apps that support the TV app in your country or region, open the TV app on your device, then go to the Store tab.
- In available contries and regions, the TV app replaces the Videos app when you update your iPhone or iPad. Any videos stored in the Videos app, like ones you synced from iTunes or use through Home Sharing, will transfer to the TV app.
- With your consent, Up Next displays only content that you watched on an Apple device after you update the device. And if you sign in to iTunes with the same Apple ID on multiple Apple devices, Up Next displays your current content from all of those Apple devices.
- Any content that you see in the Watch Now tab should be instantly playable, unless you manually add shows or movies to Up Next that aren't available (like content that's offered through apps that you haven’t signed up for, or content that you haven't rented or purchased yet).
- If you use the TV app on multiple devices that share the same Apple ID for iTunes, your adjustments to this setting apply to all of those devices.