Here's what you need
If you get stuck on a step, or want to step back, press Menu. To start over at any time, unplug your device from power, then plug back in.
Plug into power
Plug your Apple TV into power. If you plan to use Ethernet, connect your Apple TV to your router with an Ethernet cable. (Wi-Fi setup comes later.)
Connect to your home-theater devices
With an HDMI cable, plug your Apple TV directly into your television. Or, if you use a receiver or HDMI switchbox, use an HDMI cable to plug your Apple TV directly into your receiver or switchbox. Then use a second HDMI cable to connect the receiver or switchbox to your television.
Turn on your television to find the setup screen
Turn on your television (and receiver or switchbox). You should see an Apple TV setup screen.
Don't see the setup screen? On your television, check that you selected the same input that you connected your Apple TV to. (For help, use your television manual.) If you still don’t see the setup screen or hear any audio, get help.
Connect your remote
To connect your devices, press to click the Touch surface of your remote.
Need help? If your remote won't connect, press and hold the Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds. Or if a message says that you aren't close enough, set your remote on top of your Apple TV.
Pick language settings
Swipe on the Touch surface of your remote to find your language and country or region. To choose an option, click the Touch surface . If you see the wrong language, press the Menu button to return to the previous screen and try again. Or, if you want to start over, unplug your Apple TV from power, then plug it back in.
If asked, choose whether to use Siri.
Choose how to finish setup
Set Up with Device: This option transfers settings from your iOS device to your Apple TV, like login information for iTunes, iCloud, Game Center, and Wi-Fi.
Set Up Manually: This option lets you enter login information with the onscreen keyboard and your remote.
To finish setup, use the next sections.
Set up with device
Follow the onscreen steps on your iOS device and Apple TV, then use the next section to finish up.
If you have issues with the "Set Up with Device" process, press Menu on your remote to return to the previous screen. Then set up manually instead.
Set up manually
- Choose your Wi-Fi network and enter your password. If you use Ethernet, skip this step.
- Wait for your Apple TV to activate. If it doesn't, check your Internet connection. (Public and subscription networks with sign-in requirements won't work.)
- Sign in with your Apple ID or choose Skip this Step. (Don’t remember your login information?)
- If asked, choose a device to send an Apple ID verification code to. Then enter the code on your Apple TV. Use the next section to finish up.
Finish the onscreen steps to choose settings for Location Services, screensavers, and analytics sharing. Then you can open the App Store from your Home screen to find and download video apps and game apps—like Hulu, DirecTV Now, Netflix, NBA, HBO, and many more. Need help with the App Store?
Want to learn more? Browse your Apple TV (4th generation) user guide.
- If you get stuck, press the Menu button on your remote to return to the previous screen.
- If your remote won't respond, press and hold the Menu and Volume Up buttons for two seconds.
- If your Apple TV won't respond or you get stuck during setup, unplug it from power, then plug it back in.
- Contact Apple Support.