If your screen is black or frozen
If your screen is black or frozen, you might need to force restart your device. A force restart won't erase the content on your device. You can force restart your device even if the screen is black or the buttons aren't responding. Follow these steps:
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
If your device still won't turn on or start up
Plug in your device and let it charge for up to one hour.
After a few minutes, you should see the charging screen.
If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check the jack, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.
If your device still doesn't turn on, see what to do next.
If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up
If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:
- Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force it to restart.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
- Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
- When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
If you need more help
Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:
- You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
- You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
- Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
- You can't force your device to restart because your Home button or Sleep/Wake button is broken or stuck.
- Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.