The server cannot be bound to the Open Directory Master before you promote it to an Open Directory Replica.
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
- From the View menu, choose Accounts.
- Click Login Options.
- Click the Edit button that is next to Network Account Server.
- Click Open Directory Utility.
- In Directory Utility, double-click LDAPv3 (you may need to click the lock icon and authenticate first).
- Select your Open Directory Master from the list and
- Click Delete.
You should now be able to promote the server to an Open Directory Replica.