The solution is to use Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) to copy the files, instead of SMB. This keeps the streams together.
For servers with a display
- 1. Log in to Mac OS X Server as an Admin user.
2. In the Finder, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu.
3. Entering the DNS name or IP address of the Windows server, then click Go.
4. Select the volumes you wish to copy from.
5. In the Finder, drag the files from the Windows server volume to the desired location.
For servers without a display (headless)
- 1. From a Macintosh client computer, connect to the Mac OS X Server system via AFP. Be sure to connect as an Admin user, and select the destination volumes.
2. Connect to the Windows Server via AFP.
3. In the Finder, drag the files from the Windows server volume to the desired location on the Mac OS X Server volume.