In order to install Lion Server on a blank partition you must be running Lion Server or Snow Leopard Server, and you must have the Lion installer and Server app together in the same folder. If you just purchased Lion Server, these items should be in the Applications folder on the startup disk.
- Open "Install Mac OS X Lion".
- Click continue and agree to the software license agreement if you agree.
- Click the "Show All Disks…" button.
- Select a blank disk on which to install.
- If you are installing Lion Server v10.7.1 or earlier, click the Customize button. If you are installing Lion Server v10.7.2 or later, you can skip to step 8.
- Select the Server Software package.
- Click OK.
- Click Install.
- Enter your administrator password if prompted.
The Lion installer will download and install the Lion Server components on the target disk, then restart into the Server Assistant. Note: Lion Server installation requires Internet access.