Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update
Updating your system
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means.
Choose Software Update from the Apple () menu to check for the latest Apple software via the Internet, including this update.
If your computer is not up-to-date, other software updates available for your computer may appear, which you should install. When Software Updates states "Your software is up to date," you can be sure that all available updates have been installed.
Note that an update size may vary from computer-to-computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others, so you should run Software Update more than once to make sure you have all available updates.
You can manually download the update installer. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. These versions of the standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.
General fixes and improvements
- improves compatibility with some Braille displays
- resolves an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive
- resolves an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening
- addresses issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers
- improves reliability of VPN connections
- resolves a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing
- resolves an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view
- resolves an issue with Parental Controls Time Limits for Open Directory or Active Directory users
- resolves a display sleep issue with MacBook Pro (Early 2010) computers
- resolves an issue with MacBook Pro (Early 2010) computers in which the right speaker may sound louder than the left speaker
- includes Safari 5.0; for more information about Safari 5.0, see this webpage
- Security improvements; for information about the security content of this update, please visit this article
Fixes and improvements for Aperture 3
- adds tethered shooting support for additional digital camera models
- addresses IPTC metadata compatibility issues
Fixes and improvements for external devices
- RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras
- resolves an issue with using third-party USB web cameras
- resolves an issue with noise when using some third-party FireWire audio devices
- resolves pairing issues with Apple remotes