You can use the preference editor to manage many settings that aren't available in the user interface of Workgroup Manager. Use the steps below to locate, import, and edit preferences.
Note: Not all settings can be managed using Workgroup Manager (MCX).
- Configure the settings on your admin system. Optionally, you may configure the settings on another system and copy the preference file(s) to the system that is running Workgroup Manager.
- Look in common places where preferences are stored, such as ~/Library/Preferences or /Library/Preferences. Using the Finder, change the view to List and then sort by the Date Modified column to look for recently modified preference files. Some settings are stored in files that aren't visible in the Finder such as /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
- Once you have located the correct preference file(s), open Workgroup Manager.
- In Workgroup Manager, select the record you would like to manage.
- Click Preferences in the top toolbar.
- Click the Details tab.
- Click the plus button (+) to navigate to the preference file. You can specify which preference domain you want to import the settings into by using the "Manage imported preferences" pop-up menu (once, often, or always). Some settings will only work with the "often" preference domain.
- Click Add to import the preference file.
- Highlight the newly-added item in the list in Workgroup Manager, then click the Edit button (the button with the pencil icon).
- Select the disclosure triangle next to the preference domain where your settings are (once, often, or always) to reveal its contents.
- Remove any attributes that you do not wish to manage. Add any additional attributes and the appropriate values that you would like to manage.
- Once done, click Apply Now to save the changes.
- Click Done to dismiss the preference editor.
Note: Settings defined by the Active Directory Plug-In appear in System Profiler as Computer preferences.