Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update
This update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.6 through v10.6.1 Snow Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit this website.
Updating your system
You should back up your system before installation; you can use Time Machine.
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system. You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means.
Choose Software Update from the Apple () menu to check for the latest Apple software via the Internet, including this update.
If your computer is not up-to-date, other software updates available for your computer may appear, which you should install. When Software Updates states "Your software is up to date," you can be sure that all available updates have been installed.
Note that an update size may vary from computer-to-computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others, so you should run Software Update more than once to make sure you have all available updates.
You can manually download the update installer. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. These versions of the standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.
General operating system fixes provided for:
- an issue that caused data to be deleted when using a guest account
- an issue that might cause your system to logout unexpectedly
- the reliability of menu extras
- an issue in Dictionary when using Hebrew as the primary language
- shutter-click sound effect when taking a screenshot
- an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture
- an issue adding images to contacts in Address Book
- an issue in Front Row that could cause sluggish or slow frame rates while watching videos
- creation of mobile accounts for Active Directory users
- reliability and duration of VPN connections
- general reliability improvements for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, and iDisk
- overall improvements to VoiceOver performance
- this update addresses video playback and performance issues for iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) and iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) computers that may occur in some situations while AirPort is turned on
Fonts fixes provided for:
- an issue with font spacing
- an issue in which some Fonts are missing
- font duplication issues
- an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly
Graphics fixes provided for:
- an issue when connecting monitors to DVI and Mini DisplayPort adapters
- an issue in which the brightness setting may not be remembered on restart
- addresses functionality with specific display models
- general reliability and performance improvements when using some applications
Mail fixes provided for:
- a situation in which Mail's unread count may not update properly as messages are read on another computer
- an issue in which deleted RSS feeds may return
- an issue in which Mail cannot preview or Quick Look attachments when composing a new message
- an issue that can cause Address Book and/or Mail to stop responding when opened
- improved line wrapping compatibility when sending to certain mail clients and Microsoft Exchange Server
- an issue in which Mail reports "Account exceeded bandwidth limits" for some Gmail accounts
MobileMe fixes provided for:
- performance when accessing files from iDisk via the Finder and syncing iDisk files
- an issue in which syncing iDisk files does not proceed beyond "checking items"
- reliability and performance when syncing contacts, calendars, and bookmarks with MobileMe (syncing with iTunes and iSync are also improved)
- an issue that prevents some users from logging into MobileMe via the MobileMe System Preference pane
Network file systems fixes provided for:
- compatibility with third-party AFP servers
- file synchronization for portable home directories
Printing and faxing fixes provided for:
- automatic printer updates improvements
- Print dialog allowing you to enter and send to more than one fax recipient
Safari fixes provided for:
- a graphics distortion issue in Top Sites
- Safari plug-in reliability
The Mac OS X v10.6.2 combo update also includes improvements provided in the Mac OS X v10.6.1 Update.