To create a new Pages document:
- Open Pages by clicking its icon in the Dock or by double-clicking its icon in the Finder.
- In the Template Chooser window, select a template category in the left column to display related Word Processing or Page Layout templates, and then select the template that best matches the document you want to create.
- Scan the page types available in many of the Pages templates by moving the pointer from right to left over a template icon in the Template Chooser. You can change the size of the template icons by adjusting the slider at the bottom of the Template Chooser window.
- If you want to begin in a document without any text or media placeholders, select Blank under Page Layout or Word Processing.
- In a Blank page layout document, text is added by inserting a text box and then typing in the text box. To add text to a Blank word processing document, begin typing.
- Click Choose. A new document opens on your screen.
If you don't see the Template Chooser when you first open Pages, you can make it appear by setting a preference in Pages preferences. Choose Pages > Preferences, click General, and then select “For New Documents: Show Template Chooser.”
Alternatively, you can set Pages to automatically open a Blank document or the document template of your choice every time you open the application. Choose Pages > Preferences, click General, select “For New Documents: Use template:”, and then click Choose. Select a template, and then click Choose.