Retail copies of Mac OS X Server v10.4 (for PowerPC-based Macs) and Mac OS X Server v10.4.7 Universal (for PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs) can be used to upgrade Mac OS X v10.4.x client installations to server installations. The process is a "Meta-package" upgrade and is described in this article.
Performing a Meta-package upgrade on Mac OS X v10.4.10 or 10.4.11 clients
Mac OS X Server 10.4.x (PowerPC or Universal) install discs cannot perform a Meta-package client upgrade on clients that have already been updated to Mac OS X v10.4.10 or 10.4.11.
As a workaround, download MacOSXServerInstall.dmg from here.
The requirements and installation process to use MacOSXServerInstall.dmg are detailed below:
- A Mac with Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later (client) installed that you wish to upgrade to Mac OS X Server 10.4.x.
- Mac OS X Server 10.4 installation DVD (to upgrade PowerPC-based Macs).
- Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 Universal installation DVD (to upgrade Intel-based Macs).
- A valid Mac OS X Server serial number.
- On the client computer you will be upgrading, download MacOSXServerInstall.dmg from here.
- Double-click the downloaded MacOSXServerInstall.dmg file to mount the disk image in the Finder.
- Insert the appropriate Mac OS X Server installer disc.
- Double-click MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg in the Mac OS X Server Install window.
- The installer will confirm that you have the appropriate Mac OS X Server installer disc mounted.
- Follow the instructions presented in the installation window.