Important: Please read before installing.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
- If issues occur during installation--for example, Software Update quits unexpectedly, please see this article.
There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.5: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.
Automatic Software Update
, located in the
menu, will automatically download the latest Apple software. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.) Note that the update's size
from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Some updates must be installed prior to others, so you may need to run Software Update more than once to get all of the available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. Two versions of the standalone installer are available from Apple Downloads: a delta and combo.
This update offers many improvements, including:
Internet, iDisk, and networking
- Safari no longer quits unexpectedly when deleting AOL mail messages via AOL webmail.
- Apple's IPSec VPN client now works with Cisco servers whether or not NAT is used.
- Addresses an issue in which you could not sync with an iDisk larger than 4 GB.
- Files copied across a network via Portable Home Directories are now copied as temporary files until the transfer is complete, in case the network connection is interrupted before the transfer finished.
- Addresses an issue in which some Epson printers could not successfully print via AirPort Extreme.
- Allows the rotating cube effect to appear as expected on both a primary and a mirrored display, when switching users via Fast User switching.
- Addresses an issue for Mac OS X 10.4.4 in which background columns of text within the RSS Visualizer screen saver are sometimes superimposed over one another.
- Dragging a widget out of the widget bar while the desktop picture is changing (automatically, for example) no longer stops the animation on an Intel-based Mac.
- On an Intel-based Mac, Telestream Flip4Mac now installs correctly.
- Prevents the Setup Assistant from unexpectedly quitting if Kotoeri is selected as the keyboard type following an English language installation of Mac OS X.
- Allows applications that run using Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac to successfully open files that are located via an Open window's "search" field.
- Addresses an issue in which Rosetta-translated applications running on Intel-based Macs would not correctly receive Keychain notifications.
- Console no longer reports a series of "Quartz Composer QuickTime Component" messages for iMovie '06 when applying a Ken Burns clip or image.
- Addresses an issue for iMovie HD and Mac OS X 10.4.4 in which iMovie could unexpectedly quit when switching themes.
- Updated the rules for time zones and Daylight Savings Time to conform to changes in the law for the United States, Australia, and other locations, for 2006 and later.
- Addresses a potential issue that could cause the system process "configd" to unexpectedly stall.
- Addresses an issue when viewing streaming media behind a firewall on Intel Macs.
- Eliminates some potential video redraw issues when using Front Row on Intel-based Macs.