There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.2.8.
Software Update Installation
You may have been referred to this document by Software Update. For more information on this feature, see "Mac OS X: How to Update Your Software".
Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to get all available updates.
Standalone installers are available from Apple Downloads. For example, you can go there and search on "10.2.8" to find the standalone installers. You don't need to use one of these if you have already used Software Update to install.
Two versions of the standalone update installer are available:
- Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update updates Mac OS X 10.2.6 and 10.2.7 to the later version. This document describes how to use this installer.
- Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update (Combo) updates Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.7 to version 10.2.8. If you need to use the Combo installer, see this document.
These are some of the enhancements that are part of Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update:
- Windows on external displays connected to some PowerBook computers are drawn better.
- The Bluetooth menu bar item works better when a Bluetooth USB adapter is disconnected and reconnected.
- Addresses a situation in which an external FireWire storage device would not become available (mount) and this message would appear: "A disk attempting to mount as 'unknown' has failed. Please use Disk Utility to check the disk."
- Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth devices may not be available after the computer wakes from sleep.
- Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth keyboards may show a delayed response when you press a key after the computer wakes from sleep.
- Addresses an issue in which some iBook computers could make a clicking sound when using Mac OS X 10.2.5 or 10.2.6.
- Reduces a potential delay when removing some devices from the Bluetooth pairing list.
- Addresses a potential issue in which an audio application can unexpectedly quit when a USB- or FireWire-based audio device is disconnected.
- Bluetooth preferences correctly displays the Bluetooth menu bar item's status if the item was enabled elsewhere.
- Includes several enhancements for Safari.
- Includes support for USB 2.0 devices, including PCI and PC cards for computers that do not include USB 2.0 hardware.
- Includes several security enhancements. For detailed information, see Apple Security Updates.
- Includes an updated Ethernet driver for 450 MHz and 500 MHz dual processor Power Mac G4 desktop computers.
- Updates the battery status menu for portable computers.