Follow these instructions to install an AirPort Card into an AirPort-ready iMac computer. See Notes 1 and 3.
- Shut down the computer.
- Unplug all cables, except the power cord.
- Place the computer face down on a soft cloth.
- Unlock the access door with a coin.
- Open the access door.
- Touch the metal shield inside the recessed latch area to discharge static electricity.
- Unplug the power cord from the computer. Don't walk around the room until you've finished installing the AirPort Card.
- Detach the antenna from the left rail guide on the upper AirPort Card slot.
- Remove the protective cap.
- Connect the antenna to the AirPort Card.
- Align the edges of the AirPort Card with the guides on the slot and insert the AirPort Card sideways into the slot, as shown in Figure 1.
- Close the access door and use a coin to lock it.
- Reconnect all cables and cords.
- Press the power button on the computer. See Note 2.
Figure 1 Inserting the AirPort Card
Instructions for using the AirPort software are available by choosing Mac Help from the Help menu.
- The Indigo iMac (Summer 2000) computer with a 350 MHz microprocessor does not include an AirPort card slot. (The parenthetical product description (Summer 2000) refers to the summer of the Northern Hemisphere.)
- Never turn your computer on unless all of its internal and extra parts are in place.
- The AirPort Card Adapter is required to install an AirPort Card into any AirPort-ready, G3-based, slot-load iMac. This adapter was included with AirPort cards made during the same period as these computers. If you've obtained an AirPort card without the secondary adapter card, you should check with other AirPort users you know to find a spare, or search the secondary market. Because many computers did not require the adapter card, many AirPort users have copies of this adapter which have never been used.
Note: Wireless Internet access requires an Internet service provider (fees may apply) and AirPort (or AirPort-compatible) wireless Ethernet card and base station. Some ISPs are not compatible with AirPort. For more information, see technical document 106590: "AirPort: Requirements for Wireless Internet Access"