These Macintosh computers only start up in Mac OS X:
- PowerBook G4 (12-inch) and later models of 12-inch PowerBook G4
- PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800) and later models of 15-inch PowerBook G4
- PowerBook G4 (17-inch) and later models of 17-inch PowerBook G4
- Power Mac G4 (FW 800)
- Power Mac G5 and later models of Power Mac G5
- iBook G4 and iBook G4 (14-inch) and later models of iBook
- iMac (Flat Panel) with serial numbers of xx303xxxxxx or later
- iMac (17-inch 1 GHz) and later models of iMac
- eMac (ATI Graphics) most models (see Note)
- eMac (USB 2.0) and later models of eMac
- Mac mini
Note: eMac (ATI Graphics) models with CD-ROM or Combo drives can boot into Mac OS 9. Also, be sure to check system requirements before installing versions of Mac OS X on your computer.
Tip: These computers include a Mac OS 9 System Folder on the Mac OS X volume. This System Folder contains the necessary files to run the Classic environment. If the System Folder is deleted or otherwise unavailable, it can be restored using the Restore discs that came with the computer. For more information, see "Mac OS X: How to Reinstall Mac OS 9 or Recover From a Software Restore".