To get temporary iCloud storage, here's what you need
- If you buy a new iPhone or iPad and don't have enough iCloud storage to back up your current device using iCloud Backup, you're eligible to get temporary iCloud storage.
- Update your current iPhone or iPad to iOS 15 or iPadOS 15.
- Make sure that you know the Apple ID and password that you use with iCloud. Learn what to do if you don't know your Apple ID.
How to create a temporary backup of your current iPhone or iPad
- Go to Settings > General.
- Scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset [Device].
- Under "Prepare for New [Device]," tap Get Started.
- If you see "iCloud Backup is Turned Off," tap Turn On Backup to Transfer.
- If you don't have enough iCloud storage, you'll see a message that says you're eligible to get free extra iCloud storage. Tap Continue.
If you don't see this message, then you have enough iCloud storage to back up your iPhone or iPad to iCloud.
- Wait for the backup to complete.
How much time you have to restore your temporary backup
You have 21 days to restore your temporary backup to your new iPhone or iPad before your temporary iCloud storage expires and your backup is permanently deleted.
Do not erase your current iPhone or iPad until you restore your temporary backup to your new device.
If your new iPhone or iPad doesn’t arrive within 21 days, you can get an additional 21 days to restore your temporary backup before it’s deleted. On your current iPhone or iPad, open Settings and tap Keep My Backup Longer.
To request additional time to restore your temporary backup before it's deleted, contact Apple Support.
How to restore your new iPhone or iPad from your temporary backup
- Turn on your new iPhone or iPad and follow the onscreen steps to begin setup.
- On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
- Choose your most recent iCloud backup.
- Wait for the restore to complete.
What happens to your temporary iCloud storage after you restore your backup
After you restore your temporary backup to your new iPhone or iPad, your temporary backup is available for 7 days before it's permanently deleted.
If you want to keep using iCloud to back up your device, you can upgrade to iCloud+.