Magic Keyboard with Touch ID requires a Mac computer with Apple silicon and macOS 11.4 or later.
Locate the Touch ID sensor
The Touch ID sensor is located in the upper-right corner of Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.
Try these steps
Try using Touch ID after each step:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of macOS.
- Make sure that your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry.* Use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris on the Touch ID sensor.
- Your finger should cover the Touch ID sensor completely. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Touch ID, then make sure that "Unlocking your Mac" or "iTunes Store, App Store & Apple Books" is on, and that you've added one or more fingerprints.
- Try enrolling a different finger.
- Restart your Mac.
* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.