How it works
With Family Setup, your family member who doesn't have their own iPhone can use their Apple Watch to do things like make phone calls, send messages, and share their location with you.
After you set up a watch for a family member, you can use your iPhone to manage some of the watch's capabilities.
Note that some Apple Watch features depend on having a companion iPhone, and aren't available on an Apple Watch that you pair using Family Setup.
What you need
- An Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular,* or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later
- An iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later for the initial watch setup
- An Apple ID for yourself and one for the family member who will use the Apple Watch
- A Family Sharing setup that includes the person who'll use the Apple Watch
* A cellular plan isn't required to set up an Apple Watch for a family member, but is necessary for some features.
Put on the watch and turn it on
If the Apple Watch isn't new, erase it first.
Then put on the watch, or have your family member put it on. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
Hold the watch near your iPhone
Hold the Apple Watch close to your iPhone. Wait until "Use your iPhone to set up this Apple Watch" appears on your iPhone, then tap Continue. If you don't see this message, open the Watch app on your iPhone, tap All Watches, then tap Pair New Watch.
Tap Set Up for a Family Member, then tap Continue on the next screen.
Pair the watch with your iPhone
Hold your iPhone over the animation that appears on the watch. Center the watch face in the viewfinder on your iPhone, then wait for a message to say that your Apple Watch is paired. If you can't use the camera, tap Pair Apple Watch Manually, then follow the steps that appear.
Then tap Set Up Apple Watch.
Set up a passcode
Tap Agree on the Terms and Conditions screen, then choose a text size for the Apple Watch.
Next, set a passcode to keep the watch secure.
Pick a family member
Choose the family member who will use the Apple Watch. If they don't appear, tap Add New Family Member.
Enter the family member's Apple ID password, then tap Next.
Turn on Ask to Buy
Turn on Ask to Buy if you want to give approval for any downloads or purchases made on the Apple Watch.
Set up cellular and Wi-Fi
If your iPhone cellular provider supports Family Setup, you can add the watch to your plan. If your carrier doesn’t support it, you might be able to use an alternative carrier. Then you can set up cellular on the watch later.
Next, choose whether to share your current Wi-Fi network with the Apple Watch.
Turn on other features
In the screens that follow, choose whether to turn on and set up additional Apple Watch features. These include Location Services for the Find People app, Siri, Apple Cash Family, Messages in iCloud, Health Data, Emergency SOS, Emergency Contacts, Medical ID, Activity, Workout Route Tracking, and Photos.
Set up shared contacts and Schooltime
Next, you're asked to set up contacts that will be available on the Apple Watch. Update your family member's contact info, and then make sure that your contact card is also up to date.
Then you can choose trusted people from your own Contacts app to share on the Apple Watch. You can manage these shared contacts later, and set up restrictions, in Screen Time on your iPhone.
Finally, set a Screen Time passcode for the watch, and turn on Schooltime. When you're finished, tap OK to begin using the Apple Watch.
Availability of features and apps
Health and fitness features:
- High and low heart rate notifications are available for users 13 and older.
- Fall detection is available for users 18 and older.
- Users under the age of 13 can use move minutes, rather than active calories, for their Move goal in the Activity app.
Apple Pay features:
- Apple Cash Family is available to users under the age of 18, allowing them to make purchases and send and receive money in Messages with Apple Pay (United States only).
- Apple Pay using a credit, debit, or transit card in the Wallet app is not available with Family Setup.
The following features and apps are not available: irregular heart rhythm notifications, ECG, Cycle Tracking, Sleep, Blood Oxygen, Podcasts, Remote, News, Home, and Shortcuts.