Cellular Update Failed
If you see this alert, it might mean there's an issue on the cellular modem of your iPhone or iPad. Your iPhone can't make or receive calls or text messages, or access cellular data.
Apple Pay requires an update
If you see "Your iPad cannot use Apple Pay until it has been updated," you won't be able to use Apple Pay or Wallet for payments or access until you update the iOS on your device. Some Wallet passes might still be available while payments are unavailable.
What to do next
Before proceeding, make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone or iPad. Then follow these steps to reinstall iOS:
- Connect your device to a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later, or a Windows computer with iTunes 12.9.4 or later.
- If you see a "Trust this Computer" alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
- Open iTunes and select your device.
- Click Summary, then follow these steps:
- On a Mac: Command-click Check for Update.
- On a Windows computer: Control-click Check for Update.
iTunes will download and reinstall the current version of iOS on your device. Don't disconnect your device from your computer until the download completes.
If you continue to see either of the alerts above, take your iPhone or iPad to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or make a Genius Bar reservation at an Apple Store. You can also contact Apple Support.