Cellular Update Failed
If you see this alert, there was an issue updating the cellular communication features of your iPhone or iPad. Your iPhone can't make or receive calls or text messages or access cellular data. In addition, if you go to Settings > Cellular, you see the message: "An update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone."
Ultra Wideband Update Failed
If you see this alert on your iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, there was an issue updating the Ultra Wideband feature of your iPhone. In addition, if you go to Settings > General > About, you see the message: "Ultra Wideband Update Failed. Your iPhone cannot use ultra wideband until it has been updated."
Apple Pay requires an update
If you see "Your iPad cannot use Apple Pay until it has been updated," you won't be able to use Apple Pay or Wallet for payments or access until you update the iOS or iPadOS on your device. Some Wallet passes might still be available while payments are unavailable.
What to do next
Before proceeding, make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone or iPad. Then follow these steps to reinstall iOS or iPadOS:
- Connect your device to a computer. Make sure you have the latest version of macOS or iTunes. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
- If you see a "Trust this Computer" alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
- Select your device.
- In Finder, click General. Or in iTunes, click Summary, then follow these steps:
- On a Mac: Command-click Check for Update.
- On a Windows computer: Control-click Check for Update.
Your computer will download and reinstall the current version of software on your device. Don't disconnect your device from your computer until the download completes.
If you continue to see either of the alerts above, take your iPhone or iPad to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or make a Genius Bar reservation at an Apple Store. You can also contact Apple Support.