Choose a template
Pages includes two categories of templates specially designed for creating EPUB books. To choose a book template:
- In Pages on your Mac, choose File > New. In the document manager in Pages on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or on iCloud.com, tap .
- In the template chooser, scroll down to the Books templates.
- Choose the template that's best for your content:
- For books that use mostly text, choose a Portrait template. With a Portait template, you can choose to use reflowable text when you export to EPUB. In the exported EPUB book, text adjusts to different sizes or orientations of devices. Because of this, your book may look different from the original document when opened in iBooks or other readers1.
- For books that use a lot of images, or that format content in columns, choose a Landscape template. Landscape templates are exported to EPUB with fixed layouts. The layout is maintained in the exported EPUB book, and doesn't change depending on the size or orientation of devices.
1 If you decide you want the layout of your Portrait EPUB book to match your document's layout, you can always export your Portrait template-based document as a fixed layout EPUB.
Add content to your Pages document
After you've picked a template, add text, photos, image galleries, videos, shapes, tables, charts, and your own drawings to your document. If you're using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can even record audio directly to your document.
With a Portrait template, new pages are automatically created as you add content. Your text automatically flows from one page to another.
With a Landscape template, you must manually add new pages2.
2 If you want text to flow from one page to another in a Landscape template, you can use linked text boxes.
Add pages manually
To add pages to a Landscape template on a Mac, choose Insert > Page.
To add pages to a Landscape template on an iPad, tap in the left column, then choose a page.
To add pages to a Landscape template on an iPhone or iPod touch:
- Tap the page numbers at the bottom of the screen.
- Touch and hold the thumbnail for the page you want the new page to follow, then tap Add Page at the bottom of the screen. If there is more than one master page for the template, choose the one you want. Otherwise, a blank page is automatically added.
- To close the page thumbnail view, tap the handle above the thumbnails.
View and share your book
Pages for iOS
- Open your document in Pages for iOS.
- Tap .
- Tap Export.
- Tap EPUB.
- Tap Send.
- To view your book in iBooks, choose Copy to iBooks. To share your book, tap an app such as Mail or Messages.
Pages for Mac
- Open your document in Pages for Mac.
- Choose File > Export To > EPUB.
- Click Next.
- Select a location for your book, then click Export.
- To view your book in iBooks, double-click the book file. To share your book, select the file in Finder, click , then choose a method for sharing your book.
Pages for iCloud
- Open your document in Pages for iCloud.
- Click , then choose "Download a Copy."
- Click EPUB in the window that appears.
- Click Download.
- To view your book in iBooks on a Mac, double-click the book file. To share your book on a Mac, select the file in Finder, click the share icon, then choose a method for sharing your book.