Control your Apple TV with your iOS device
Before you begin, check the following:
- Make sure that your Apple TV is connected to your television, powered on, and connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
- If your Apple TV is turned off, you can turn it on without a remote. Just unplug your Apple TV from power, then plug it back in.
- If you have a new Apple TV that hasn’t been set up, plug your Apple TV in to your Wi-Fi router with an ethernet cable.
Then follow the steps below to set up the Apple TV Remote in Control Center.
Use the Apple TV Remote in Control Center
If you’ve set up your iOS device to control your Apple TV, then the Apple TV Remote is automatically added to Control Center when you update to iOS 12 or later.
If you haven’t set up your iOS device to control your Apple TV or have an earlier version of iOS, follow these steps:
- Make sure that your iOS device is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
- Add the Apple TV Remote to Control Center, then open Control Center.
- Tap , then choose your Apple TV.
- If asked, enter the four-digit code on your iOS device that appears on your Apple TV.
The Apple TV Remote in Control Center works with Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, and Apple TV (3rd generation).
Buy a new remote
- If you have the remote for a different Apple TV, you might be able to use that remote to control your current Apple TV. Get help with the remote for your Apple TV.
- If the remote for your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD isn’t working, try charging the remote.
- Depending on your television, you might not be able to control the volume with Apple TV Remote in Control Center.