Apps and Books is coming to Apple School Manager with new features:
- Transfer unassigned licenses to other locations. After the transfer, the licenses are available in the new location and will be associated with the new location's token. Any purchaser with access to that location can use the unassigned licenses.
- Share licenses between purchasers who have access to the same location.
- Browse and purchase content directly in the Apps and Books section of Apple School Manager. You can view all licenses purchased for or transferred to your locations in one place. Manage Volume Purchase Program (VPP) credit and update billing information in Settings.
Prepare your organization to migrate to Apps and Books
Use the information below to prepare for migration.
Verify mobile device management (MDM) support for Apps and Books
Before you migrate, contact your MDM vendor to confirm that they support the new Apps and Books features.
Invite VPP purchasers to Apple School Manager
If you have purchasers with existing VPP accounts that aren't in Apple School Manager yet, invite them to join your organization before you migrate to Apps and Books.
Migrate only one purchaser per location
For the best migration experience, migrate only one purchaser per unique location. You can do this in one of the following ways:
- By restricting account access in Apple School Manager to the appropriate location for each purchaser.
- By directing each user to the specific location that they should choose.
If each purchaser migrates to a unique location, all licenses — assigned and unassigned — will move to Apps and Books.
If licenses are purchased or transferred to a location before a purchaser migrates to the new location, only the unassigned licenses will move to that location.
If multiple purchasers migrate to the same location
If you couldn't map purchasers to a unique location, assigned licenses might not move during the initial migration. When a purchaser migrates to a location that was already chosen by another purchaser, assigned licenses remain associated with the purchaser's legacy tokens and should remain uploaded to MDM.
After the licenses are unassigned in MDM, app licenses can be transferred to a location of choice in the Apps and Books section of Apple School Manager's Settings. Assigned book licenses always remain assigned to the user. After all licenses are moved to a location, the purchaser’s legacy token is no longer needed in MDM.
All licenses that move during migration will associate with the new location token to which they move. Any assigned licenses that don't move during migration remain associated with the purchaser's legacy token. All tokens that have associated licenses must be uploaded in MDM.
Apps and Books uses location-based tokens. All licenses purchased for or transferred to a location associate with that location's token.* Legacy tokens from the VPP portal are account-based tokens. Purchasers can access tokens for all of their locations in the Apps and Books section of Apple School Manager's Settings. Only one person needs to upload location tokens to MDM. Legacy tokens aren't needed after all licenses are moved to a location.
* Assigned book licenses can't be moved and remain assigned to a user.
Migrate all VPP purchasers
When you're ready to migrate to Apps and Books in Apple School Manager, all purchasers should migrate at the same time. Each purchaser must migrate their own account. Migrate by clicking Get Started in the Apps and Books section of Apple School Manager, then selecting the appropriate migration location.
After all purchasers migrate, you can take full advantage of the new features.
If your organization decides not to use Apps and Books, VPP purchasers can continue to use the legacy VPP portal at vpp.itunes.apple.com.