In iOS 11, the document manager in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote works together with the Files app to keep your documents up to date across devices and apps. To browse your documents when you have a document open:
- On your iPhone or iPod touch, tap .
- On your iPad, tap Documents, Spreadsheets, or Presentations, depending on the iWork app you're using.
To browse other locations where you've stored iWork documents, tap Browse in the document manager—you might have to tap more than once. In the Browse menu that appears, tap a location to open it in the document manager. Locations can include your device, iCloud Drive, and third-party cloud services. If you don't see a location you want to browse, you can turn it on so it appears in the Browse menu.
You can also browse your documents by doing any of the following:
- To see recently edited documents in the iWork app you're currently using, tap Recents.
- To look for a specific document, tap in the Search field at the top of the window, then enter all or part of the name of the document.
- To sort documents in the document manager by name, date, size, or tag, swipe down in the document manager until the buttons appear, then tap one.
- To view documents as thumbnails or as a list, tap .
- To see the documents that share a tag, tap a tag in the Browse menu. Learn how to work with tags.
Organize your documents with folders and tags
You can keep your documents organized by creating folders and storing documents in them. To create a folder:
- Tap Browse in the document manager, then tap a location.
- Swipe down in the document manager, then tap .
- Name the new folder, then tap Done.
- To create a new document in that folder, open the folder, then tap Create Document. The document will then be saved in that folder until you move it.
You can also use tags to organize your files. Tags make it easy to quickly find the document you need.
Tag a document
- Tap Select, then tap the document thumbnail so a checkmark appears on it.
- Tap Share on your iPad, or tap on your iPhone and iPod touch, then tap .
- You can select an existing tag, or create your own. To create your own tag:
- Tap Add New Tag.
- Enter a name for the tag and select a color.
- Tap Add Tag. You can tag documents with the new tag, and the tag also appears in the Browse menu.
- Tap Browse to open the Browse menu, then tap Edit.
- Tap the name of an existing tag.
- Then enter the name of your new tag.
- Tap Done.
You can share, move, copy, and delete documents in the document manager. Tap Select, tap the document thumbnail so a checkmark appears on it, then tap the option you want at the bottom of the screen.
- To share a document, tap Share on your iPad, or tap on your iPhone or iPod touch, then choose how you want to share the document. To share or save the document in another format such as PDF, tap Export.
- To copy or move the document to another folder or location, tap Move on your iPad, or tap on your iPhone, select the new location, then tap Copy or Move.
- To delete a document, tap Delete on your iPad, or on your iPhone or iPod touch.
Rename a document
Make sure you're viewing documents as thumbnails before you rename documents.
- In the document manager, tap the document name, then tap the "x" in the text field to delete the current name.
- Type a new name, then tap Done.
Browse and open recently deleted and previous versions of documents
To browse and open a recently deleted document:
- Tap Browse to open the Browse menu, then tap Recently Deleted. Recently deleted documents appear in the document manager.
- Tap Select, tap one or more documents, then tap Recover.
- To get information about a recently deleted item, touch and hold the name of the document or folder, lift your finger, then tap Info in the menu.
You can also browse and restore previous versions of a document that you've stored in iCloud Drive:
- Tap Browse to open the Browse menu, then tap iCloud Drive.
- In the document manager, tap Select, tap a document, then do one of the following:
- On your iPad, tap Versions.
- On your iPhone or iPod touch, tap .
- Tap a version to select it.
- To preview a version, tap Preview. You can search for text in the preview, and you can copy text and objects. However, you can't edit in the preview.
- To open the version so you can edit it, tap Save a Copy.
- To replace the current version with the preview version, tap Restore.
- To return to the current version, tap Close.
Customize the Browse menu
You can turn locations where you store documents on or off, reorder items, and edit tag categories. Changes you make to the Browse menu in the document manager also affect the Browse menu in the Files app. If you're using a third-party cloud service to manage your documents, download, install, and set up its app on your device, then turn it on to use it with the document manager and the Files app.
- Tap Browse.
- In the Browse menu, tap Edit, then do any of the following:
- Turn on the location you want to use.
- To reorder items, touch and hold , then drag the location or tag label to a new position.
- To remove a tag category, tap .
- Tap Done.