Change the audio output
While you're listening to music, videos, or other types of audio, there are a few ways to change the audio output from your iOS device to headphones, speakers, or another device.
From Control Center
To switch the audio on your device from Control Center:
- Swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen on your device to open Control Center. On iPhone X, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Touch and hold the audio card in the upper-right corner, then tap to see a list of devices that you can connect to.
- Tap the speakers, headphones, or accessory that you want to use.
Under the list of devices that you can connect to, you might see additional cards to control Apple Music playback on nearby devices.
Tap a card to control what’s playing and queue up songs to play next using your iOS device.
To switch back to controlling audio playback on your iOS device, just open Control Center and tap the card at the top.
From the Lock Screen
To switch the audio on your device from the Lock Screen:
- Tap .
- Select the speakers, headphones, or accessory that you want to use.
- Tap Done.
From within the app you're using
To switch audio from within the app that you're using:
- Tap. Depending on the app that you're using, you might see a speaker or other audio icon.
- Select the speaker, headphones, or accessory that you want to use.
Some apps might not support this feature.
When you're on a phone call
If you're on a phone call and want to switch the call to your speaker, headphones, or iPhone:
- Tap the or other icon in the Phone app.
- If you aren’t in the Phone app, you can tap the green status bar to switch to the Phone app to make the change.