With the Clips app, you can record video and add animated captions to your video while recording. You can also combine multiple video clips and still photos to make a single continuous video, and then add effects like filters, emoji, and music.
Record a new video clip
- Open the Clips app.*
- Tap in the upper-left corner, then tap .
- To start recording, hold . If you don't want to hold the button, swipe up on the record button to lock it.
- To stop recording, let go of the record button. If you locked the record button, tap it to stop recording. Find the new clip in the timeline at the bottom of the screen.
- To watch your recorded clips, tap a clip in the timeline, then tap .
*Can't find the Clips app? Swipe down from the middle of the Home screen, then type Clips in the Search bar. Still don't see the app? You might have removed it. Learn how to restore an app that you removed.
Add more clips to a video
You can keep recording new clips and then combine multiple clips to make a video. When you add a clip to a video, the new clip appears after the previous clip in the timeline. When you play back the video, it plays all the clips in the order they appear in the timeline.
You can also add existing still photos and videos from your library with these steps:
- Tap Library.
- Tap an existing photo or video.
- Hold for the amount of time that you want the photo or video to appear. For example, if you select a photo and hold for three seconds, the photo will appear in your video for three seconds. And if you select an existing video in your library and hold for five seconds, the first five seconds of action will appear in your video.
- After you add a clip, you can reorder clips or remove them.
- To reorder clips, touch and hold a clip in the timeline, then drag it left or right.
- To remove a clip from a video, select the clip in the timeline, then tap . Or drag the clip towards the top of the screen.
Add a Selfie Scene from your iPhone X
Selfie Scenes on iPhone X make Clips even more fun. The TrueDepth camera places you in beautifully animated landscapes, abstract art, and even onboard the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Each scene is a full 360-degree experience, so any way you move iPhone X, the scene surrounds you on all sides.
- Tap Scenes.
- Select a Scene that you want to use.
- Hold your iPhone X in front of your face.
- Hold to add the scene to your movie timeline.
Learn what to do if Selfie Scenes don't rotate in Clips on iPhone X.
- If the video you want to share isn't open, tap in the upper-left corner.
- Swipe left to see all your videos, then tap a video project to open it.
- Tap , then choose Mail, Messages, or your favorite social media app.
Delete a project
- Tap in the upper-left corner.
- Select the project that you want to delete.
- Tap .