How it works
iCloud Backup makes a copy of the information on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. When your device is backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have. To let iCloud automatically back up your device each night, here's what you need to do:
- Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- Connect your device to a power source.
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure that your device's screen is locked.
- Check that you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup.
When you set up iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of storage. You can use that storage space for your iCloud backups, to keep your photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library, and your documents up to date in iCloud Drive. Depending on the size of your backup and the amount of content you keep in iCloud, you might run out of free space. You can make room when you buy more iCloud storage or when you delete content.
Here’s what iCloud Backup includes
- App data
- Apple Watch backups
- Call history
- Device settings
- Health data
- HomeKit configuration
- Home screen and app organization
- iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
- Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch1
- Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books2
- Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)
Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backup only include information and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include the information already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, shared photos, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and files you store in iCloud Drive.
1. If you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your device, your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren't included in your iCloud backup.
2. Your iCloud Backup includes information about the content you buy, but not the content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically redownloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries. Previous purchases might be unavailable if they've been refunded or aren't available in the store. Find out what you can redownload from iTunes in your country and what you can buy from the iTunes Store in your country.
- Learn about iCloud security and privacy.
- Learn how to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac.
- If your iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore, get help.
- Make sure that you always have enough space for your iCloud backup.