See a transcription
Here's what a customer needs to get a transcription:
- iOS 10 and an iPhone 6s or later.
- Their carrier must support Visual Voicemail.
- Transcription is in U.S English or Canadian English only. To view their Siri language, ask the customer to go to Settings > Siri > Language.
To view a transcribed voicemail message:
- Ask the customer to go to the Phone app, then tap the Voicemail tab.
- Tap a new voicemail message. They can see the transcription, and the audio will play.
Voicemail transcriptions are done on the device and aren't sent to Apple. If a customer sees "was this transcription useful or not useful" next to a transcription, they can tap it to let Apple know, and they can choose if they want to submit that voicemail's audio to Apple.
If you don't see transcriptions for some of your voicemails
When you plug in your iPhone, old voicemails are transcribed in the background. This might take up to 24 hours.
If voicemail transcriptions don't appear for the customer, connect to Wi-Fi and check a new voicemail. To check, ask the customer to leave themselves a voicemail. It might take up to 24 hours for the transcription to appear. If it still doesn't appear, they can also try using dictation in another app, then check for the transcription again.
If a transcription is underlined or the audio is hard to recognize
If parts of the voicemail audio aren't easily recognizable, they'll be underlined in the transcription text. If large portions of the voicemail are underlined, the customer will see a “low confidence” label. If your iPhone can't provide a confident description of the message, the transcription won't appear.