Update to the latest version of the Apple TV app
If you're using a compatible smart TV, streaming device, or gaming console that's connected to the internet, the Apple TV app should update automatically. If you need help, you can contact the manufacturer or learn how to get the Apple TV app on your device.
If the movie or TV show won't start playing
After each step, try to stream or download the movie or TV show again.
- Check the System Status page for service interruptions or check a third-party provider's website for any interruptions. If there are service interruptions, try to stream or watch the video later.
- If you're having trouble logging in with your Apple ID, you can reset your Apple ID password or learn how to get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.
- If your cellular connection is poor, connect to Wi-Fi instead.*
- Try watching on a different device using the same Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If it doesn't work, contact your internet service provider to see if there's an issue with your network.
- If other people are using Apple TV+ or Apple TV channels, make sure it doesn't exceed the limits for streaming on multiple devices.
* Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is 802.11a/g/n/ac compatible. Streaming HD content requires 8 Mbit/s or faster. Slower tiers of Wi-Fi connections might not be fast enough to stream HD video content.
If the video quality is bad or it stops playing
- If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.
- Restart your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again.
- Tap or click the download icon to try downloading the movie or TV show instead.*
* You can't download movies or TV shows to Apple TV, smart TVs, or streaming devices. You can only download HDR content on certain iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models, and you can't download 4K video content to any device.