Your iPhone is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.
To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:
- Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
- Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
- Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
- Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
- Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
- Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
- Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws
Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids—for example, salt water, soapy water, pool water, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. If your iPhone comes into contact with any of these substances, follow the instructions to clean your iPhone.
What should I do if my iPhone gets wet?
If liquid splashes on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is dry before opening the SIM tray.
To dry your iPhone, tap it gently against your hand with the Lightning connector facing down and remove excess liquid. Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. Placing your iPhone in front of a fan blowing cool air directly into the Lightning connector might help the drying process.
Don't dry your iPhone using an external heat source or insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or a paper towel, into the Lightning connector.
If my iPhone gets wet, can I charge it?
If your iPhone has been exposed to liquid, unplug all cables and do not charge your device until it’s completely dry. Using accessories or charging when wet might damage your iPhone. Allow at least 5 hours before charging with a Lightning cable or connecting a Lightning accessory.
For wireless charging, wipe off your iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is dry before you place it on a compatible wireless charging mat.
What should I do if my iPhone got wet, and now its speaker sounds muffled?
Check to see if water is in the microphone or speaker: Place your iPhone, speaker side down, on a lint-free cloth and see if water drips out. Water in the port might degrade speaker or microphone performance until it completely evaporates. Dry your iPhone using the previous instructions.
What should I do if dust gets on my iPhone?
If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.