Schools currently using Apple Deployment Programs (Device Enrollment Program or Volume Purchase Program) can upgrade to Apple School Manager.
Apple School Manager is a service that lets you buy content, configure automatic device enrollment in your mobile device management (MDM) solution, and create accounts for your students and staff. Apple School Manager is accessible on the web and is designed for technology managers, IT administrators, staff, and instructors.
Review this information before you upgrade to Apple School Manager.
VPP Program Facilitators
Your school might have one or more separate Volume Purchase Program (VPP) accounts. If your school has these accounts, you can prepare to upgrade by transferring the VPP Program Facilitators (Admins) from these accounts to a single Apple Deployment Programs account.
If your school has an existing Apple Deployment Programs account
If you can log in at deploy.apple.com, you have an Apple Deployment Programs account. Your account may include the Device Enrollment Program, the Volume Purchase Program, or both.
If your Apple Deployment Programs account includes the Volume Purchase Program you can transfer your VPP Program Facilitator accounts to your Apple Deployment Programs account. If your Apple Deployment Programs account includes the Device Enrollment Program only, enroll in the Volume Purchase Program using the same account first. Then use these steps to transfer your VPP Program Facilitator (Admin) accounts to your Apple Deployment Programs account.
Transfer your VPP Program Facilitator accounts
- Go to the Educational Volume Purchase Support web form.
- Choose Other from the drop-down menu.
- In the "Please tell us more" field, explain that you would like to transfer your VPP Program Manager account to to your Apple Deployment Programs account. Please include the VPP Program Facilitator Apple ID to transfer, and the Agent ID of the Apple Deployment Programs account you want to transfer them to.
- Complete the rest of the form and submit.
Apple will contact you after the transfer is complete. After the Program Facilitator account transfers:
- Program Facilitators will be listed as Admins for your Apple Deployment Programs account.
- If you're enrolled in multiple programs, you can choose which programs your new Admins can administer.
- Along with all other Admins, they will be transferred to Apple School Manager when you upgrade.
If your school doesn't have an existing Apple Deployment Programs account
Choose a domain for Managed Apple IDs
When you upgrade your Apple Deployment Programs account to Apple School Manager, you'll be asked to enter your school’s website. Apple School Manager uses the school website you enter as the base for the default domain for your Managed Apple IDs. For example, if your website is www.myschool.edu, your Managed Apple IDs will look like firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your website domain is different from your email domain, you might prefer to enter your email domain instead. Your Apple School Manager admin can change the default domain after upgrading.
If you don't merge your separate accounts
If you don’t merge your separate VPP accounts with Apple Deployment Programs before upgrading to Apple School Manager, you can still use your Volume Purchasing account to purchase content and link it with your mobile device management (MDM) solution to distribute content.
When you're ready, learn how to upgrade your institution to Apple School Manager.
- Learn how to set up and use Apple School Manager.