Find My iPhone and Activation Lock for your Apple Watch requires watchOS 2 or later, and it turns on automatically when you set up Find My iPhone on your paired iPhone. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can:
- Unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone.
- Pair and use your Apple Watch with a new iPhone.
- Turn off Find My iPhone on your device.
This can help you keep your device secure, even if it's in the wrong hands, and can improve your chances of recovering it. Even if you erase your device remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter anyone from reactivating your device without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My iPhone turned on, and remember your Apple ID and password.
Check to see if Activation Lock is on
Follow these steps on your paired iPhone to see if Activation Lock is turned on:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab, then tap your watch name at the top of the screen.
- Tap .
If your Apple Watch goes missing
If your Apple Watch is lost or stolen, you can use Find My iPhone to help you locate it and protect your information. Just sign in to iCloud.com or the Find My iPhone app to see your missing watch on a map, play a sound to help you find it, use Lost Mode to lock it, or remotely erase all of your personal information.
Turn off Activation Lock before you send your Apple Watch in for service, sell it, or give it away
Before you send your Apple Watch in for service, sell it, or give it away, you should turn off Activation Lock on your Apple Watch. Just unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone:
- Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap your watch name at the top of the screen, then tap .
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Enter your Apple ID password. If you forgot your Apple ID password, you can reset it.
- Tap again to confirm.
If you can't access your iPhone or Apple Watch, or if your Apple Watch isn't paired with your iPhone and you need to turn off Activation Lock:
- On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Go to Find My iPhone.
- Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
- Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
- Click next to your Apple Watch.