You can control your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV from Control Center. Or, you can download the Apple TV Remote app from the App Store to access more features while you control your Apple TV.
When you first open the app
- Devices: Tap Devices to connect the Apple TV Remote app to a different Apple TV.
- Touch surface: In the blank space above Menu, you can swipe to navigate and tap to select.
- Play/pause: Tap to play or pause content.
- Siri:1 If you have an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), you'll see . Touch and hold , say what you want, then release.
- Home: Double-tap to see your recently used apps. If your country or region supports the TV app, tap to open the app, and double-tap to go to the Home screen. If not, tap one time for the Home screen.
- Menu: Tap Menu to return to the previous screen or menu.
Looking for the app's onscreen keyboard or volume controls?
- A keyboard appears in the Apple TV Remote app when you select a text field on your Apple TV.
- Want to change the volume using your iOS device? Receivers with HDMI-CEC volume support let you adjust volume with the volume buttons on the side of your iOS device. You just need to plug your Apple TV directly into your receiver and not into your television. Get help with HDMI-CEC.
After you select and play content
After you tap play, you'll see three more controls in your Apple TV Remote app:
- Fast-forward: Tap to skip ten seconds ahead in a video. Or tap to fast-forward in a song.
- Rewind: Tap to skip ten seconds back in a video. Or tap to rewind in a song.
- Details: Tap Details to see an overview of the content you're playing. For music, you can change your shuffle or repeat settings, or swipe up to choose what to play next. For iTunes movies and TV shows, you can swipe up to change your audio and subtitle settings. Then tap to return to the previous view.
When you play a supported gaming app
If you have an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), you and your friends can use your Apple TV Remote apps as game controllers in compatible apps. The number of supported players might depend on the limitations of the gaming app and your home network.
While you can use the standard view of your Apple TV Remote app to play games, you can also use Game mode. Here's how:
- Open a supported gaming app on your Apple TV.
- In the Apple TV Remote app on your iOS device, wait for to appear at the top of the screen.
- Tap , then turn your iOS device to a horizontal position. You'll see five controls: Menu, two thumb controls (A and X), Close, and a blank space that works like a Touch surface.2
If you need help with the Apple TV Remote app or the previous remote app, here's more information:
Apple TV Remote app
Need help because your Apple TV Remote app won't connect? If so, restart your Apple TV and try again.
iTunes Remote app
Looking for information about the previous remote app (renamed the iTunes Remote app)? Learn more.
- If you set up your Apple TV in a language, country, or region that doesn't support Siri—and if dictation supports your language setting—the control is for dictation instead of Siri.
- If the Game-mode controls don't work as expected, check that you have the latest version of the gaming app that you're playing. If you still need help, contact the app developer of the gaming app for more information.