The Home app lets you securely control any "Works with Apple HomeKit” accessory. You can also organize your accessories by room, manage multiple accessories at the same time, control your home with Siri, and more.
Before you begin
- Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS.
- Make sure that you have one or more HomeKit-enabled accessories. Look for the label “Works with Apple HomeKit” on the product packaging.
- On your iOS device, sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and turn on iCloud Keychain and Home to edit home users and use accessories on all of your iOS devices.
- To set up accessories and automation, allow Home to use your location.
Set up HomeKit accessories
To get your smart home started, add lights, locks, thermostats, and other HomeKit-enabled accessories. Before you set up your accessory:
- Make sure that it's powered on and nearby.
- Check your accessory’s manual to see if it needs additional hardware to work with HomeKit.
To add an accessory:
- Open the Home app and tap Add Accessory or tap .
- When your accessory appears, tap it. If asked to Add Accessory to Network, tap Allow.
- With the camera on your iOS device, scan the eight-digit HomeKit code, or QR code on the accessory or accessory documentation. If you have an iPhone 7 or later with iOS 11 and see on your accessory, hold your iPhone near the accessory to add it.
- Add information about your accessory.
- Tap Next, then tap Done.
Learn how to add AirPlay 2-compatible speakers to the Home app.
Some accessories, like Phillips Hue lighting and Honeywell thermostats, require additional setup with the manufacturer's app.
Edit details about your accessory
Edit details about your accessories, like their names and where they're located. This helps Siri identify your accessories when you use Siri to control your home.
To edit details for an accessory:
- Tap the Home tab.
- Touch and hold an accessory.
- Tap Details, then add the following:
- Name: Name your accessory to help you identify it in Home and to control it with Siri.
- Room: Assign a room where your accessory is located, like the living room.
- Type: Select the type of accessory it is, like a switch or light.
- Include in Favorites: Turn on to access your accessory in Control Center, the Home tab, and on your Apple Watch.
- Status and Notifications: Turn on to see what accessories are turned on at the top of the Home tab and receive notifications for certain HomeKit accessories.
- Group with other Accessories: Group accessories together so you can treat them like one accessory.
- Tap Done.
Organize accessories by room and zone
You can create different rooms in the Home app to help you keep track of where your accessories are located. And you can group rooms into a zone, like upstairs or downstairs.
Add a room and assign accessories to it
To add a room:
- Tap the Rooms tab.
- Tap in the upper-left corner, then tap Room Settings.
- Tap Add Room.
- Give your room a name, like Living Room. To change the Room Wallpaper, tap Take Photo or Choose from Existing.
- Tap Save.
To assign accessories to a room:
- In the Home tab or Rooms tab, touch and hold an accessory.
- Tap Details, then tap Room.
- Select a room for the accessory, then tap Done.
To navigate between different rooms, tap the Rooms tab at the bottom, then swipe right or left across the screen or tap in the upper-left corner. To edit the order of your rooms, tap , tap Room Settings, tap Edit, then drag the rooms in the order you want them.
Organize rooms into a zone
Group rooms together in to a zone to easily control different areas of your house with Siri. For example, if you have a two-story home you can assign the rooms on the first floor to a downstairs zone. Then you can ask Siri things like “Turn off the lights downstairs.” Here’s how:
- Tap the Rooms tab, tap in the upper-left corner, then tap Room Settings.
- Tap a room, like Living Room.
- Tap Zone. Tap an existing zone or add a new zone by tapping Create New, then give your zone a name.
- Tap Done.
To add more rooms to a zone, just follow the steps above for each room.
Control your accessories
Here’s how to turn your accessories on and off, find any extra controls, and quickly check status information:
- Turn accessories on or off: In the Home tab or Rooms tab, tap an accessory to turn it on or off. For some accessories, like a thermostat, touch and hold the accessory to see its controls. Want to do this from Control Center* or your Apple Watch? Add your accessory to Favorites.
- Use extra features: Some accessories, like lights and thermostats, offer features like brightness, color, and temperature controls. Touch and hold the accessory to find and adjust extra features.
- Check the status of your accessories: Status and Notifications let you see which accessories are turned on. For example, check the top of the Home tab to see how many lights are on. Tap Details under the status to see more information.
Want to control your HomeKit accessories with just your voice? Learn how to use Siri to control your home.
*Control Center will allow you to control up to nine accessories that you add to favorites.
Create a scene to control multiple accessories
Scenes let you control multiple accessories at the same time. For example, you can create a scene called "Arrive home" that turns on all of the lights and unlocks the front door—all with a single tap. Here's how:
- Tap the Home tab or Rooms tab, then tap .
- Tap Add Scene.
- You can use a suggested scene or create a custom one.
- Tap Add or Remove Accessories.
- Tap the accessories that you want to add, then tap Done.
- Touch and hold an accessory to adjust its settings.
- To preview the scene, tap Test This Scene. Want to access your scene from the Home tab, Control Center, and your Apple Watch? Turn on Show in Favorites.
- Tap Done.
Tap the scene to turn it on or off, or just ask Siri. You can add or remove accessories from a scene at anytime. Just touch and hold a scene, then tap Details.
Want a scene to automatically run at a certain time, location, when a sensor detects something, or when an accessory turns on or off? Learn how to automate your accessories.
Get notifications for your accessories
You can set up notifications for certain HomeKit accessories,* like locks and sensors, to alert you when an accessory detects something or at a certain time of day. For example, if you have a door sensor you can get a notification when a door opens while you're home. Here's how:
- Touch and hold an accessory, then tap Details.
- Tap Status and Notifications.
- Turn on Allow Notifications, then choose from these options:
- Time: Set a time that you want to get alerts for your accessory.
- People: Get alerts for the accessory when you or someone arrives or leaves your house. If you choose this option, you need to set up a home hub and make sure that everyone who can control your home has Share My Location turned on and has a primary device selected in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Share My Location.
- To finish, tap Back in the upper-left corner, then tap Done.
Want to get notifications for your HomeKit accessories while you're not home? Set up a home hub to remotely access your HomeKit accessories.
*Not all HomeKit accessories support notifications.
Delete your home data or reset your accessories
Moving to a new home and want to set up and control your new home with your accessories? You can remove your home and manually reset your accessories.
To delete your Home data:
- Open Home and tap the Home tab.
- Tap .
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Remove Home. Then tap Delete to confirm.
- You might need to reset each of your accessories. To reset your accessory, look for a button on the accessory, check its manual, or contact the manufacturer.
- Use Siri to control your home.
- Set up a home hub to control your HomeKit accessories remotely, grant access to the people you trust, and automate accessories.
- Add and manage AirPlay 2-compatible speakers in the Home app.
- Find accessories that work with Apple HomeKit.