Where you’ll see your notifications
We'll send notifications to the device that you're using, so you can see them as soon as possible.
If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.
If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode.
When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they're also dismissed from your iPhone. You might get certain notifications on your watch that you need to respond to using your iPhone.
If you don't see notifications on your Apple Watch
Make sure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are connected. If your devices disconnect, your notifications go to your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch.
You should also check the settings on your Apple Watch. When your Apple Watch locks or you turn on Do Not Disturb, your notifications go to your iPhone.
- When your Apple Watch is locked, appears on the watch face. If your Apple Watch has a passcode, it locks automatically when you aren't wearing it, when it loses contact with your skin, or while it's charging.
- When Do Not Disturb is on, appears on the watch face. To turn this feature on or off, swipe up on the watch face, then tap .
Customize or mirror your notification settings
By default, your Apple Watch notifications are set up to mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.
For built-in apps, you can customize the notifications on your Apple Watch:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap Notifications, then tap an app.
- If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to use different notification settings just for your Apple Watch, tap Custom.
For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app.
If you want to hide the notification icon
appears on your watch face when you get a notification. You can hide the red dot, so it doesn't appear when you have unread notifications:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.
- Turn off Notifications Indicator.