Updating your system
- You should back up your system before installation. To do this you can use Time Machine.
- Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system.
- You might experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modiﬁcations installed, or if you've modiﬁed the operating system through other means.
- Choose Software Update from the Apple menu () to check for the latest Apple software using the Mac App Store, including this update.
- Other software updates available for your computer might appear, which you should install. Note that an update's size can vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others.
You can also download the manual update installer. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computers, but only want to download the update once. Standalone installers are available from the Apple Support website.
About the update
The OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update is recommended for all Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks
- Fixes issue causing the background or Apple logo to appear incorrectly on startup
- Improves the reliability of waking from sleep
- Includes Safari 7.0.5
For detailed information about the security content of this update, see Apple security updates.