If you need help, try these steps first:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of Find My Friends, the latest version of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and the latest version of watchOS on your Apple Watch.
- Check Find My Friends on the System Status page for issues.
- Force Find My Friends to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Wait a minute, then open the app again.
- Use these steps if the app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open.
If you still need help, check the questions below for your issue. You can also check the Help menu in the Find My Friends app:
- On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Me, then tap Help.
- On an iPad, tap the List button, tap Me, tap Info, then tap Help.
Get help viewing locations
Learn what do if you can't see a location, a location isn't correct, or your friends can't see your device location.
If you forced the app to close
If you force Find My Friends to close in iOS 7 or later, Find My Friends might not be able to detect proximity to a geographic location (geofencing). Geofence alerts from Find My Friends won't be delivered to friends who follow your device, and your device won't appear on your friend's device. After you close the app, reopen it on your device.
You should force the Find My Friends app to close only if it's unresponsive. Find My Friends can send your current location to friends even when the app is in the background.
If you see a No location available label for friends
You might not see your friend's location for these reasons:
- Your friend might need to correct the date on their device. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
- The device is off or isn't connected to cellular or Wi-Fi.
- Your friend turned on Hide My Location in Find My Friends.
- Your friend turned off Location Services in Settings > Privacy > Location Services or in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Find Friends.
- Your friend isn't signed in to Find My Friends on the device being located.
- The device is in a country where Apple doesn't offer this feature. This feature might not be available in all countries due to technical limitations or local law.
A device's previous location is available for two hours. After two hours, you see Location not available.
If a location is old or inaccurate
You might not see a device's current location if it needs to update in iCloud. Wait a few minutes, then try again.
If you're signed in to Find My Friends on more than one device, you might need to check which of your devices your friends can see:
- On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Me, then tap your active device under Share My Location From. This choice only appears when you're currently signed in to Find My Friends on multiple devices.
- On an iPad, tap the List button, tap Me, tap Info, then tap your active device under Share My Location From. This choice only appears when you're currently signed in to Find My Friends on multiple devices.
Friends can't see the location of your Apple Watch. They see the location of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
If the location circle is too large
If the location circle is too large, wait a few minutes, then try again. The device might be determining a more accurate location, or it might not be able to provide a more accurate location. This can happen if the device is indoors with no known Wi-Fi base station around.
If the location label isn't accurate
If you set a location label, such as Home or Work, the label will display only if your device's location is accurate. If your device's location is too broad to match the location that you used when you set the label, the label might not show.
Get help sending and receiving location requests
Try the steps below.
If you didn't get your friend's request
- Make sure that you're signed in to Find My Friends with the Apple ID your friend is trying to follow. To see your Apple ID, tap Settings > iCloud. If your friend used a different email address, check your email inbox for a request from your friend. Tap View Request in the email to accept or decline their request.
- Make sure that the option to Allow Friend Requests is turned on in Find My Friends:
- On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Me, then select Allow Friend Requests under Invitations.
- On an iPad, tap the List button, tap Me, tap Info, then select Allow Friend Requests.
- Make sure that you're within the limits to accept follow requests. If you reached a limit, you might not be able to accept more friends until you remove one.
If your friend didn't get your request
- Make sure that you're sending your request to the Apple ID your friend is using to sign in to Find My Friends on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Make sure that you're within the limits to send follow requests to others. If you reached a limit, you might not be able to send a location request to more friends until you remove one.
If you accept a request from a friend that you’re not following, a follow request is sent to your friend automatically.
Get help using Temporary Sharing in iOS 7 or earlier
Get help setting up Temporary Sharing.
If you need help setting up Temporary Sharing
You can participate in up to 10 temporary events, and each temporary event can contain up to 50 friends. If you're above the limit, you might not be able to accept or create additional temporary groups until you quit or delete an event.
If you get an "iMessage isn't enabled for your Apple ID" alert
Find My Friends uses Messages to communicate with members of a Temporary Sharing group. You might see the above message if you need to set up iMessage for your Apple ID. Use these steps to set up Messages:
- Tap Settings > Messages.
- Make sure Messages is turned on. Try these steps if you need help turning on Messages.
- Tap Send & Receive.
- Make sure that you're signed in with the Apple ID you use with iCloud. If you're not signed in, tap Use your Apple ID for Messages and sign in.
On your iPhone, you can set up your Caller ID to be your Apple ID, so you can reply to Messages conversations from your friends using your Apple ID instead of your phone number. Go to Settings > Messages and tap "Start new conversations from" to choose your phone number or Apple ID.