Go to Settings > General > Siri and make sure that Siri is turned on. You’ll need an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
Cellular data charges might apply.
Ask Siri a question
You can ask Siri to find directions, answer questions, send messages, and much more. There are several ways to talk to Siri:
Use the Home button
Hold down the Home button until Siri asks, "What can I help you with?" Then say what you need.
Say, "Hey Siri"
Plug your device into power and say, “Hey Siri.” Then ask your question.
With iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, and iPad Pro (9.7-inch) you can use “Hey Siri” without plugging into power. Learn more about "Hey Siri," like how to set up the feature.
Talk to Siri with your headset
If you're using a headset that has a remote, hold down the center button or call button until you hear a chime. Then say what you need.
Talk to Siri in your car
If your vehicle supports CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free, hold down the voice-command button on your steering wheel, then tell Siri what you need. Siri waits for you to stop talking. If you have a touch screen with CarPlay, you can also use Siri by pressing and holding the Home key on the screen. You can tap the audio-wave button to tell Siri you're done talking. This is useful if Siri can't hear you because there's background noise. Opening certain apps like Phone or Messages can also connect you to Siri.
Siri adapts its behavior depending on how you're connected. For example, if you're connected from a wired or Bluetooth headset, from Siri Eyes Free, or from CarPlay, Siri reads your messages so you can approve them before sending.
Tell Siri to set a reminder that's based on your location
Since Siri uses Location Services to track places like your location, home, or workplace, you can ask for help based on location:
- On your iOS device, check that Location Services is on under Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- Ask Siri for location-related help. For example, you can say, "Remind me to call my wife when I leave the office," or "Find a nearby Sushi restaurant."
Information about your location isn't tracked or stored outside of your iPhone.
Turn "Hey Siri" on or off and personalize the feature
To ask questions without pressing the Home button, plug your device into power and turn on "Hey Siri.” With iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, and iPad Pro (9.7-inch) you can use this feature without plugging into power.
- Go to Settings > General > Siri.
- Turn on Allow "Hey Siri."
- In iOS 9 or later, follow the onscreen prompts to make your voice more recognizable for "Hey Siri."* This lowers the chance that other people will accidentally activate Siri on your device.
You can turn off "Hey Siri" in Settings > General > Siri. If you have an iPhone with iOS 9 or later, you can also temporarily disable "Hey Siri" by setting your device face down.
*Information about your voice isn't tracked or stored outside of your iOS device. You can remove this information from your device by turning off “Hey Siri.”
Change Siri’s voice or language
To change Siri's voice, go to Settings > General > Siri > Voice Gender. To change Siri's language, go to Settings > General > Siri > Language. Then choose from the list of languages that Siri speaks and understands.
You can use Siri in any country, with any of the supported languages. Since Siri is designed to recognize accents and dialects of the supported countries, Siri's accuracy rate will be highest for native speakers. Learn which Siri features are supported in which countries.
Get help with Siri
- If "Hey Siri" isn't working, make sure that "Hey Siri" is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
- Siri might say, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network," or "Try again in a little while." This is probably a network issue. Check your Internet connection and try again later.
- When you're using Siri to dictate, dictation is limited to about 30 seconds.
If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions
Before you try these steps, make sure that your device works with Siri. After each step, see if Siri is working.
- Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
- On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
- Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
- If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri only works when you're using a headset, get help with the microphones on your device.
- Contact Apple Support.
If Siri doesn't make a sound when you hold down the Home button
On your iPad or iPod touch, Siri will chime when it's time to ask a question. If you have an iPhone with iOS 9 or later, Siri will vibrate instead. You'll only hear the chime on your iPhone with iOS 9 or later when you're using headphones.
Siri will also chime when you use "Hey Siri" on a device with iOS 9.