You can use FaceTime over Wi-Fi1 or over cellular on supported iOS devices2. FaceTime isn’t available or might not appear on devices purchased or used in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Pakistan. However, with iOS 11.3 and later, FaceTime is available on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in Saudi Arabia.
Turn on FaceTime
Open the FaceTime app and sign in with your Apple ID. You can also do this from Settings > FaceTime.
If you're using an iPhone, FaceTime automatically registers your phone number. To also register your email address on your iPhone, go to Settings > FaceTime > Use your Apple ID for FaceTime, and sign in with your Apple ID.
If you're using an iPad or iPod touch, register your email address by tapping Settings > FaceTime > Use your Apple ID for FaceTime, and sign in with your Apple ID.
Make a FaceTime call
To make a FaceTime call, you need the person's phone number or registered email address. There are a few ways to make a FaceTime call:
- In the FaceTime app, tap and type the person's phone number or email address. Tap the number or address, then tap Audio or Video .
- If you have the person's phone number or email address saved in your Contacts, you can begin typing their name and tap the name when it appears. Then tap Audio or Video .
- You can also begin a FaceTime video call from your iPhone during a phone call. Tap the FaceTime icon in the Phone app to switch to FaceTime.
Use FaceTime Audio with Call Waiting
When another call comes in — either a phone call or another FaceTime audio call — you can choose one of these options:
- End the current call and accept the incoming call.
- Accept the incoming call and put the current call on hold.
- Decline the incoming call.
Use your Memoji in FaceTime
After you create a Memoji to match your personality and mood on iPhone X or later, you can use the Memoji during a FaceTime video call:
- Open FaceTime and make a call.
- When the call starts, tap .
- Tap the Memoji that you want to use.
- Continue your FaceTime call with your customized Memoji, or tap to continue without a Memoji or go back to the FaceTime menu.
To change your Animoji or Memoji, or to remove it during a FaceTime call, repeat steps 2-4.
Get more help
1. You can use FaceTime on any of these devices on Wi-Fi: iPhone 4 or later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad 2 or later, iPad mini (all models), and iPod touch 4th generation or later (only iPod touch 5th generation or later support FaceTime audio calling).
2. With a cellular data plan, you can also use FaceTime without Wi-Fi on any of these devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro (all models), and iPad (3rd generation or later).